bridge rectifier//need help

ucti1986

Joined Jun 21, 2008
hello , guys . i'm a new member in this website ,, i built a bridge rectifier circuit and i found the situable values for each component ,, and the only thing i need now to get it done is the calculation part including the formulas and i need to know what the calculation should i consider ,,thank you guys ,, hope to hear from u sooooon

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Calculation of what? In the real world, a bridge rectifier produces a positive and a negative voltage. To filter the ripple, a pair of capacitors are used. Capacitors are cheap, so choose a voltage spec close to double the voltage out, and a capacity mostly limited by space. If 100 uF is enough, use 470. Probably not $.30 difference.

ucti1986

Joined Jun 21, 2008
:) first of all thank you for your reply ,,,i made up the rectifier from :
v=10 volts
four diodes = 1N1206C
capacitor=100muF
RL=100m ohm
:confused: but it still doesn't work,,,,
one more thing i need the formulas to calculate the output DC voltage across the load resistor.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Could you show the schematic. We are all familar with how they should be wired, but we don't have a clue how you did it.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
1N1206's are pretty heavy diodes. Stud mount and good for 600 vots @ 12 amp. You only have one filter capacitor. 100 microfarad is way too small for any significant current - 10,000 microfarad might be more like it (assuming you are going to pull something like the 12 amp rating).

Then you say it doesn't work. Did you mount the diodes all to the same piece of metal? That would short all four together. I can find specs on 1N1206N &-R types, meaning standard and reverse polarity, but no mention of -C types.

We are going to need a schematic to tell what is going on.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Standard rectifier diodes have a fairly large forward voltage drop across themselves (0.7v-1.2v depending on load) when compared to Schottky rectifiers (0.32-1v depending upon load)

This isn't as much of a concern when rectifying high voltage as it is with low voltage.

You will still need to size your rectifiers for your expected load current.

International Rectifier's website has a great deal of information on selecting rectifiers.

ucti1986

Joined Jun 21, 2008
engineers,,, this is an image of the bridge rectifier that i have told please check the values of the components,,,,,,,,is there any formula relates the AC input with DC output,,thank you

ucti1986

Joined Jun 21, 2008
well,, it asks for the URL of the image ,,, could u please tell me how i could insert this URL at the time i have the Image saved in the hardesk,,thank you

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
There is no point in clogging up folks e-mail with pictures the rest of us won't see.

1) click on the paper clip (a widely used symbol for "attachemnt") next to the "A"

2) in the window which opens, click "browse"