Bridge circuit MAX. voltage!

Holden11

Joined Jan 31, 2009
Hi guys I need some help here. The following is a bridge circuit, it doesn't look like a bridge circuit but I know it is, the battery is just split in two, but they're the same voltage. The resistor in the middle is just a piece of wire, it is shorted. Now, I need a formula to know the maximum voltage I can give to this circuit without burning any of the resistors, as you can see they are small value resistors and you can see the wattage of each one, I need to give this bridge circuit a voltage. I need a formula to know the maximum voltage I can give to this without burning ANY of the resistors, it's very important, so I can set up the circuit without worrying about burning one of the resistors.
Any ideas?

Attachments

kingdano

Joined Apr 14, 2010
you need to do some equivalent circuit analysis by shorting out each supply and calculating the equivalent resistance of each current loop.

the limiting factor on voltage will be the power rating of the lowest value resistor in each loop.

using standard equations for power you should be able to reverse calculate the proper values.

i am sure if you browse the books at the top of the page you will find relevant examples.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It's also homework, and it belongs in the "Homework Help" forum.

When you have a non-academic question, feel free to post in the General Discussion forum.

Otherwise, your post will be moved.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Of course you know the power dissipated by the resistor will be:
I*I*R or (U*U)/R

This will give you a start.

Bertus

Holden11

Joined Jan 31, 2009
It's not homework, Wookie, it's something I've been trying to do, I'm not very good at Math though, that's why it looks like homework.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Can you at least tell us what you are building, and perhaps also what you have done so far in your calculations. Then we can give some input.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The OP got a bit upset over his thread being placed here. Those of you who were unfortunate enough to have seen his reaction now know another thing you can do to get banned.

Like everyone else, I see this as an assignment.

I read it, rather nasty post. At least the OP mentioned he was a student studying electronics but was still baffled at why an obvious homework question was moved to the homework thread.

Question, when a member is banned is their IP also blocked?