Bremsstrahlung exposure

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
It's not very deceptive after one has cleaned 6 feet of the floor with his buttocks.:D

So...what about those gasses we discussed in PM? Any utility for your purpose?
I'm talking corona not arc flash:eek:

Please refresh my memory:cool:

Best regards
HP
Sulfur hexa-fluoride?
Relatively inert element with (6) valence 1 partners. Dense (heavier than air) gas at room temperature. Very much an insulator. Converts to the 10 partner toxic when energy is added.

Gawd, I'm bad at chemistry!
Here it is - stops taser instantly... and makes you sound like Darth Vader if you breath it.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
SF-6, cool stuff. It can be used to 'pressurize' (pumped to vacuum then refilled with SF-6) hi-voltage RF power resonators.

Keeping the beam transit space at e-7 Torr vacuum reduces X-rays production from secondary electron acceleration. What's left is shielded by very thick lead doors and walls.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
So am I. Let a 25Kv corona touch you and you will be picking yourself up off the floor.:eek:

Or somebody else will be picking you up!:D
Indeed! - However, at that point, it's no longer corona, but, indeed, arc-flash!:p
And in the case of my (line operated) equipment (Speced at 100,000 VA working load) one's remains would be as the proverbial 'dust in the wind'!:eek:
Sulfur hexa-fluoride?
Oh! dielectric gases! -- Your reply to my post (wherein I made mention of ozone and nitrogen dioxide) had me all confused!:eek::eek::eek::oops:

Best regards
HP:)

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
He really should not have encouraged/prompted inhalation the SF6:rolleyes:
As an employee of the chemical industry, I watched this video and wasn't sure if I should be calling 911 as he endangering the public or admire his willingness to set aside human health, environment and regulations for the sake of a science demonstration. Instead, I just watched like a slack-jawed idiot then copied it to this thread.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
As an employee of the chemical industry, I watched this video and wasn't sure if I should be calling 911 as he endangering the public or admire his willingness to set aside human health, environment and regulations for the sake of a science demonstration. Instead, I just watched like a slack-jawed idiot then copied it to this thread.
Other than being a green-house gas it's a simple Asphyxiant.:confused:

From the MSDS: Global warming potential [CO2=1] : 22200

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Other than being a green-house gas it's a simple Asphyxiant.:confused:

From the MSDS: Global warming potential [CO2=1] : 22200
Yeah, I've done the Vader voice in grad school with it. Almost indestructible gas except by UV to break the SF bonds. Just crazy to have a fish tank full of a freon-like gas for the sake of a science demonstration. Would not get a stamp of approval at my company.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Yeah, I've done the Vader voice in grad school with it. Almost indestructible gas except by UV to break the SF bonds. Just crazy to have a fish tank full of a freon-like gas for the sake of a science demonstration. Would not get a stamp of approval at my company.
Moreover the SF6 is neither USP nor FCC grade! -- And, hence, of dubious purity for purposes outside of its intended application (Spec. The presence of bio-available fluorides at harmful concentrations cannot be ruled out). The presenter's encouragement of others negligence via tacit conveyance of the notion that the substance was unequivocally harmless was irresponsible in the extreme! Granted, his simpering 'guinea pigs' were less than sympathetic - still...;)

Best regards

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
It appears that your electronics-related interests encompass re-creating 1920's and 1930's era high voltage experiments.
Actually, it's not so much a 'retro thing' as it is a 'bullet proof thing'
We don't bother with antique experiments:confused: cuz we're into diying modern equipment plus trying to improve on it in the process:D! So I'm saying wimshurst machines and vdgs and Marks gennys need not apply:D!

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
@boatsman I see you are meaning from HP's post! I say she meant _Ok_ cuz she thinks I'm a poor sport:rolleyes:

Now I'm saying sorry about jab at British culture cuz I thought _K_ in your post was variant of _Hey?_ or _Eh?_ which is jab at my N. North American culture. So now don't you be poor sport:D!
PS I hope tag worked:oops:!

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I know! Cuz I had 400W of corona and it wasn't even hot:confused:!
You are, I take it, referring to the previously discussed overload of your 120kV PSU? --- Again, I feel that owed more to the corona's reverse biasing breakdown of the rectifier wafers than to actual coronal current... It happens! I've experienced the difficulty myself! 100 kV @ > 5 mA (potted) yet insufficient current to achieve > 50kV unloaded (when unpotted) --- Thus it was that --inasmuch as encasing the rectifiers in petroleum 'wax' (and, hence, precluding coronal discharge from their surfaces) solved the problem (despite corona elsewhere)-- I apprehended the real problem:cool::cool::cool:

Best regards

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
@boatsman
Now I'm saying sorry about jab at British culture cuz I thought _K_ in your post was variant of _Hey?_ or _Eh?_ which is jab at my N. North American culture. So now don't you be poor sport:D!
PS I hope tag worked:oops:!
Erudite people like me who've attended Fawlty Towers 'U' (as opposed to the Mckenzie Bros reformatory) know that 'K?' (used as an interjection) is a 'dig' at Latin culture, Eh?:p:p:p

That said -- my use of 'K' was, indeed, a 'contraction' of 'Ok':):):)

Best regards

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
What is kwel...K?
I think it is a misspelling of the slang, "kewl" which is an intentional distortion of, "cool" which means, "good".

How on Earth could I arrive at THAT conclusion?
Let me guess: Constant reading between the lines, trying to decipher the imaginary, "How you are trying to make her feel"?
Females do that. Males are baffled by the basic concept that facts cause feelings.:rolleyes: