Breakout box

jismagic

Joined Sep 7, 2013
I have to make a breakout box. But very very cheap one.
basically to have switches to pull high or low.

some switches to pull voltage high
some switches to pull voltage low.

its simple but i am not sure how easy is to put it nice in a box and wire it.
Anything i can get from market cheap and use to make a breakout box?

your advise pls

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
It all depends upon where you live in the world. In the United States, Radio Shack has a nice selection of project boxes. What kind of connections do you want outside the box? Screw terminals, fahnestock clips, banana jacks, pin jacks, etc.?

clips

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
You need to tell us a great deal more.

Breakout box?

These normally only give access to the lines, they do not provide the ability to set logic values.

Ok so you need a device to set logic values.

What will you use for a power supply?
Independent?
The source signal?

What logic levels are you using 3.3V? , 5V?, 15V some other value?

Do you want led indicators for the lines

How many lines?

Is this a college project or for your personal kit?

and many more questions.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
DIP switches would probably be the cheapest, but would they be physically big enough for clumsy fingers? What current would switches have to carry/switch?

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
From the link you posted, it looks like you need a box with 48 switches and each switch will have its contacts brought out to two (hard to tell from the picture) banana jacks. Is that right?

If so, here are a couple of example parts you may use, depending upon the voltage and current requirements. The jack I linked to is for a a RED one, but the supplier has several different colors available.

http://www.mpja.com/SPDT-On-None-On-Mini-Toggle-Switch-UL/productinfo/5006 SW/

http://www.mpja.com/Safety-Banana-Jack-Red/productinfo/30080 PL/

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I'm with MrChips - a breakout box for w*h*a*t? What are the signals, why do they need to be broken out. Size, weight, power limits or requirements. Anything?

ak

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
For that apparent size I usually go to a local Tin Smith and get them to put one together plus a blank aluminum front that I would custom drill.
If you need labels, find a local Lamacoid engraver.
Max.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Great price for a switch but the jacks seem high: at 50 piece qty even Digikey sells em for .58 cents.

(I wish I could find really cheap banana jacks and plugs!)

jismagic

Joined Sep 7, 2013
I will require 48 signals out. They can be changed to high or low and open.

My concept for this is attached. It is a matrix out. every cross point can be closed to make a high or a low. I think it would be a better idea to avoid switches and use insert a banana to close the crosspoint. this is only for simplicity.(Not sure if i explained it nice)
What do i need to use at crosspoint instead of switch?

thanks,
jis

Attachments

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Looks like you just need a power bus with a bunch of red jacks and a ground bus with a bunch of black jacks. The leads would be your output and plug into whichever jack you want. I you want jacks that represent open, to keep you leads un-tangled, just add another row of yellow jacks and don't connect them to anything.

jismagic

Joined Sep 7, 2013
I think what i need is a 2 pin female jack and a male jack can close the circuit when inserted.
searched the web. havent found close to it

thanks,
jis

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
If that s the case, you will need to be more descriptive as to what you really want. Do you need the empty jack to not be connected to anything until something is plugged into it? Wouldn't the simple act of plugging something in make a connection? I'm obviously missing an important detail.

jismagic

Joined Sep 7, 2013
What i want? A simple toggle switch but without a toggle switch, I want to insert a plug to a female jack and close the circuit.

Why I want? I started feeling so many switches are complicated and hence jacks will make my box simpler.

Where will i use? I will use it along with an external power supply and provide active low or high signals to my circuit

my power requirements are onl a few milliA

thanks
jis

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Again, wouldn't placing the plug into the jack close the circuit? If you plugged the cord into a jack labeled HI, it could supply a HIGH signal and if plugged into the jack labeled LO, it would supply a LOW signal. These jacks could all be tied to the proper HI or LO signal source. I'm still confused, but that's not too unusual.