Break in invisible fence underground wiring

inthenavy

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I was wondering if anyone knows of an instrument to check around my yard to find a break in my invisible fence wiring. It always takes a wait between phone call and visit from the invisible fence people, and at $100 a visit...

Thanks for any help!

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by inthenavy@Feb 24 2006, 11:36 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows of an instrument to check around my yard to find a break in my invisible fence wiring. It always takes a wait between phone call and visit from the invisible fence people, and at $100 a visit...

Thanks for any help!
[post=14358]Quoted post[/post]​
I googled your topic and ran across this forum on another site describing a few possible techniques that might help you narrow down the point at which the wire is broken using an AM radio. You may want to give the approach a try. One way to check the validity of the technique is to deliberately create a breakage and then see how effective the technique is at finding the break you created.

Look here.

hgmjr

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Originally posted by inthenavy@Feb 25 2006, 03:36 PM

Thanks for any help!
[post=14358]Quoted post[/post]​
What sort of break are you looking for? Is it working partly or not at all? If it is breaking down that often I would say it may need replacing.

If it is working in some spots you could use a pick up coil to find where it stops working.

inthenavy

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by windoze killa@Feb 24 2006, 11:56 PM
What sort of break are you looking for? Is it working partly or not at all? If it is breaking down that often I would say it may need replacing.

If it is working in some spots you could use a pick up coil to find where it stops working.
[post=14360]Quoted post[/post]​

The unit itself is fine, it's just that a couple of times a year the "underground" wire seems to get sliced.