Breadboard question

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by R_W_B, Mar 6, 2012.

1. R_W_B

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I've never owned or used a breadboard before, but considering purchasing one in my current price range. My questions are,

1. Apparently some are not "powered" ? I assume you have to add batteries or generators, rheostat ?

2. I'm looking at this (apparently older) one, -Elenco 9440 Breadboard With JW-350 Jumper Wire Set, Model 9480WK, but it says nothing about whether

a. it has a power source
    b. what the voltage range is
    c. if it has an adjustable voltage source.

Appreciate any input.
  2. jmitchell

Jul 2, 2011
    That particular breadboard is unpowered. It should have the jacks so you can add your own power-supply with banana plugs, or you can just grab a couple of batteries and go to town that way. I have that one, it has served well so far.

I converted an old computer power supply into a bench supply for 5V and 12V, works well with the breadboard and was fun to tinker up, maybe go that route!
  3. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Hi R_W_B. I just have two plain, non-powered solderless breadboards. One is similar to this:

In my opinion, most powered breadboards cost more than they're worth. It is cheaper to just connect a benchtop power supply (or even a 9-volt battery clip!) to the binding posts on the board and connect them to the board. If you ask me, the only benefit of owning a powered breadboard is its portability. Other than that, there's really no reason to get one. You can get the same portability with a 9-volt battery clipped in, which is why that's what I do. It's simple, neat, lightweight, and costs a LOT less than buying an actual powered breadboard. Personally, that's what I'd suggest you do.

Hope this helps! :)
    Der Strom
  4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
  5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Agreed. .
  6. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
  7. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I have a box full of various types. Some were given to me as gifts by my parents 40 years ago, some I made a backplane (actually Jim did) and I made a quick and dirty 4 tier breadboard myself.

The older ones are better quality, the new ones have been cheapened quite a bit.

Get 24 gauge wire, and make the jumpers yourself. I have several kit boxes I used for jumpers and parts, I use conductive foam to store ESD sensitive parts.