Breadboard - NI elvis

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Gator809, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Gator809

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 2, 2010
    I would like to purchase a breadboard to practice at home. At school for our Circuit Analysis we use NI Elvis for lab. I am pressed for time with all the classes and assignments that I need to do. But at the same time I would like to practice with the breadboard to have more intuition in what's going on in class. I think a system like NI elvis would be a time saver since you can give x Volts to the board, and you can measure with out the use of a DMM and see the results on you computer screen. I think that would be a huge time saver from practicing with a $10 breadboard. The problem is that I don't have and don't want to spend $4k for elvis. Is there a solution for less than $300? My major is computer engineering in the electrical engineering department not in the computer sci dept at UF. I may be a little flexible with my budget if it's something I can use throughout my CE/EE academic career.

Thanks for your help and I'm glad to join AAC forums.

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Welcome to AAC.

I don't know anything about Elvis, but I've done a lot of work with breadboards, including a lot of graphics. Breadboards are fast and easy (a definite plus), but they don't handle RF frequencies worth a flip. Something to think about in the discussion.

3. Rbeckett

Sep 3, 2010
    Gator, there are several sims available that will allow you to use virtual dvvm's and scopes. I have Mulitsim from National (FREE) and in addition to SPICE, it does all of what you describe on a virtual breadboard so you can test a circuit before actaully letting the magic smoke escape from your components. Multisim is very powerfull and fully equiped with thousands of components and IC's. PM me if you cant find it.
    Bob,

OH YEAH, Go Gators, I'm a Gainesville boy too.

4. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    You should be able to purchase a student license for really cheap. Have you asked your teacher?

5. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Would that be because of the variations in the wires throwing off readings?

6. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    rbeckett makes a very important point, while testing and playing with circuits in the real world is really required in the end; the free simulators out there such as MultiSim and LTSpice will allow you infinite flexibility and can actually give you better intuitive understanding of a circuits functioning by allowing you to probe any point on the system relative to any other point in the system using any equations you want to filter the results including detailed graphing possibilities.
    Multi sim looks relativly limited in the long run but great for basic bread board testing in a simulator environement where as LTSpice is a full fledged SPICE implementation with unlimited possibilities once you get over the learning curve of the software. Both are free and will be useful for many years. Multisim's student version is free and looks just like what you want to be able to play around with for free. It'll let you get your feet wet with no cost.

7. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    maxpower, elvis isn't software it's hardware, it's a real breadboard with built in signal generators power supplies and scope functions when connected to a PC, it's price is justifiable.

Multisim is the same thing, only it's simulator only, the student version is free.