Breadboard Help!

michael.cantalore

Joined Jun 25, 2013
Hi all,

I'm extremely new to circuitry, and am learning bits and pieces with the Make:electronics e-book and a little kit I picked up from radioshack, and its a lot of fun! I'm trying to do a little project and am being a bit impatient about it because its something I really want to build! Issue is i'm struggling to translate the circuit diagram into a good breadboard configuration, and I'm really worried that if I mess it up I might blow up the capacitors or something and take out an eye! (I've heard stories, and I'm slightly nervous...)

I'm basically trying to breadboard this circuit (and can't clearly see the breadboard photo thats on the website), so am seeking some much needed help! Full credit to Jason Poel Smith for drawing up this circuit diagram - it looks great - if only I could build it now and start using it in my room!!!

Please help! Thank you all for your time and kindness in helping me :)

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Hi all,

I'm extremely new to circuitry, and am learning bits and pieces with the Make:electronics e-book and a little kit I picked up from radioshack, and its a lot of fun! I'm trying to do a little project and am being a bit impatient about it because its something I really want to build! Issue is i'm struggling to translate the circuit diagram into a good breadboard configuration, and I'm really worried that if I mess it up I might blow up the capacitors or something and take out an eye! (I've heard stories, and I'm slightly nervous...)

I'm basically trying to breadboard this circuit (and can't clearly see the breadboard photo thats on the website), so am seeking some much needed help! Full credit to Jason Poel Smith for drawing up this circuit diagram - it looks great - if only I could build it now and start using it in my room!!!

Please help! Thank you all for your time and kindness in helping me :)
Look you need to chill and calm the hell down ... Because you aren't really saying anything or even asking a question....

So ask a question and everyone who wants to will help ...
If the circuit is in the make book I can help because I am in the process of read and working through it too ..Also we need all the info you have with schematics and all documentation too please..

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
Welcome to the forum.
For eye protection, wear safety glasses.

You will get a lot of help if you post a link to your circuit diagram. If you don't know how, just ask :)

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
It's very unlikely that you can cause capacitors and resistors to explode with the 6 to 9 volts supplied by batteries. About the worst is some burnt fingers from touching something really hot. You might short out a component if you really try.
When you start using a power supply, the chance of getting hot components is even higher. Since power supplies can supply a lot more current than batteries, some items can get really hot (even when working properly). Although you should have enough experience by then not to wire up components incorrectly. The problem is with shorts that heat up and short out other components.

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
Google 741 op-amp specs.
The circuit diagram needs power supply connections which aren't shown (unless I missed something ) :)

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Do you have all the components?

Are you going to use a solderless breadboard first?

Or are you going straight to a perfboard?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
It's a simple circuit. Pause the video and draw a sketch of how he laid it out on the solderless breadboard. Make sure you understand how the solderless breadboard holes are interconnected, and start connecting parts. Start with the two 741s; connect them to the power and ground rails, and then start adding the other components. Layout isn't particularly critical in this circuit.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Here is (in my opinion) an improved schematic; it shows the IC pin numbers, component numbers, and capacitor polarity. In addition, it uses a regulated 12V power supply and includes a current limiting resistor for the LEDs. Also attached is a photo of my solderless breadboard assembly.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Here is (in my opinion) an improved schematic; it shows the IC pin numbers, component numbers, and capacitor polarity. In addition, it uses a regulated 12V power supply and includes a current limiting resistor for the LEDs. Also attached is a photo of my solderless breadboard assembly.
Where did you get the power supply ???