Breadboard and SMPS???

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Dr.killjoy, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Dr.killjoy

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2013
    I was looking at the LM317 datasheet and notice a smps that uses the lm317 in the circuit.. So I wanted to try it and see how it works ,but is there any problems with building and testing a smps on a breadboard ?????

Thanks

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Yes there are massive problems. You can try it, but I wouldn't put much faith in the results. If you have any chance of success, you should investigate Manhattan style layout and fabrication.

3. CoolBeer

Mar 29, 2010
    I have made switchers run on breadboards before, it did need the switching frequency to be under 30kHz, anything above that and the MC34063 were less than happy.

Breadboards are good for a lot of things, high frequency and high power is not on that list.

This is a buck going from 19v to 13.65v, max 500-600mA: (Lead-Acid float charger)

[​IMG]

-
    Kolbjorn

4. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    You can make shortwave ciruits on breadboard, some 10 or 20 MHz, but they are not good for FM transmitters.

You get a capacity of about 2pF between rows and while that does not prohibit FM transmitters from working, it does influence such circuits.

On a 100Khz circuit 2pF wont do a thing. Another thing when you build switching circuits, the contact rows can have resistance of 0.5 Ohms and more.

If need be transplant sensible components on a small perfboard (the brown ones are breakable easily), and mount it on a row header.