Boxing is back on regular TV!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Rolland B. Heiss, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Rolland B. Heiss

Thread Starter Member

Feb 4, 2015
    NBC is about to air the first boxing card in MANY years and I am overjoyed! I haven't been able to keep up with the sport I love because it all went to pay TV and Pay Per View for the most part. Sure, I read about the results but rarely get to watch the fights anymore. Before I broke the heck out of my right hand and thus ending my career in boxing it was a sport I lived, ate, breathed and drank on a daily basis. Well, gotta run because the fights should be starting about now. Anyone else going to watch them? Take care y'all!

2. Rolland B. Heiss

Thread Starter Member

Feb 4, 2015
    Great card this evening! Both fights went the distance and although I was unhappy with the referee and the challengers half hearted attempt to realize the chance he had during those 12 rounds (which ought to be 15 like the old days in my opinion) the defensive skills displayed were worthy of applause. despite the fact that it takes more than defensive skills to win the belt. When he watches the films he will lament the fact that he didn't do more during the allotted 12 rounds and kick himself for it. Now the second fight was excellent and both of the fighters are decent individuals with excellent skills. I couldn't bring myself to root for one against the other because whomever won would have earned it decently and honestly. The man who retained the belt did just that... retained his belt decently and honestly. It was excellent to see boxing on commercial TV again and I'm very happy this evening. By the way, the referee in the second fight is one good ref! Unlike the other ref during the first fight. They ought to get rid of that first ref and definitely keep the second one around in my opinion. If anyone else watched the fights I'd love to hear your take on them! Hopefully this is allowed in the off topic section because I don't like to be censored or have my posts amended. I don't do that to other people and I require the same from them in relation to what I wish to say. There are certain unalienable rights we are all granted by nature and nature's God. Just felt like pointing that simple fact out because more often than not these days there are those who feel that it is important to impose their will upon others and in doing so deny the rights we all are supposed to share and enjoy equally.

3. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    The first fight was so-so. Molina was in over his head.

Thurman definitely won his fight, but Guererro has to be one tough guy. He took some rights to the face that would have put most fighters out. However, the knockdown wasn't one of them; it was a glancing blow off the left shoulder that just caught Guerrero off balance.

Thanks for the heads up on the fights. They brought back memories of watching the Gillette Friday night fights with my dad 60 years ago.

4. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Of course it is back. They need a venue to advertise the big pay-per-view Pacquiao/Mayweather event.

5. Rolland B. Heiss

Thread Starter Member

Feb 4, 2015
    Maybe, but I sure enjoyed the card Saturday evening after work. In the meantime we'll see if Mayweather actually steps into the ring with Pacquiao or has a sudden 'unfortunate accident' during a sparring session. At any rate, I won't be paying pay-per-view to watch the fight if it does happen. I'll wait for news of who won and who lost and perhaps watch it on YouTube before it gets removed. I used to watch the elder Mayweather fight and those were some good bouts but I don't think much of Jr. as a human being or a boxer... despite the fact that he does have certain skills. Ducking a major contender for so long in the old days would be grounds to be stripped of the championship belt.

6. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Well, the popularity of ultimate fighting has allowed a lot of things to happen in boxing that doesn't make the sports page or espn.

7. Rolland B. Heiss

Thread Starter Member

Feb 4, 2015
    I'm not sure I understand your meaning. Could you elaborate some?

8. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Those were good fights. I'm glad to see boxing back on New Boxing Channel (NBC)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    Rolland B. Heiss likes this.
  9. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Boxing has become irrelevant. Ultimate fighting is so much more popular.

10. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    You are correct, and I thought about that while I was watching the boxing. Still, there is a certain "style" to boxing that is absent from MMA; I think it is the remnants of the marquess of queensberry rules that appeal to me. The idea that two combatants can fight, but still show respect for the game and each other is intriguing. Of course, biting one's opponent's ear off is far from gentlemanly, but perhaps you see what I am trying to say.

11. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    I disagree. No MMA fight will come close to the revenue that will be generated for Pacquiao/Mayweather.

12. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    I like it too. I was surprised how well the fighters treated each other after the last round.

I agree on the revenue, I would like to see how many total bought so were viewed of each occurred in the past 12 months. 800k people bought a UFC fight in January. Popular is number of people while you are talking about revenue.

Up until Saturday, I just haven't watched boxing in ages. So many people at work made the same comment that I find it difficult to say boxing is popular.

13. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Pluuse. Over two million people bought De La Hoya vs. Mayweather. Revenue is proportional to number of buys.

14. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    More good boxing action this weekend on NBC. Adonis Stevenson defends his 175 pound title against 168 pound champ Sakio Bika. I don't know much about Bika, but I've seen Stevenson fight, and he's a dynamic fighter. This sets up a hopeful showdown between Stevenson and Sergey Kovelev.

15. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Can't find it. Please post date and time. Thanks.

16. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
  17. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
  18. Rolland B. Heiss

Thread Starter Member

Feb 4, 2015
    Wish I could catch that fight but unfortunately I'll be working during that time. Darn!!! :mad:

19. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    My apologies.

20. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Not a problem. Thanks for the heads up. I am looking forward to it.