Boundary conditions for a coaxial cable

Niles

Joined Nov 23, 2008
Hi all.

I am looking at a coaxial-cable, which starts at z=0 and ends at z=L, so it has a length L.

At z=0 is it short-circuited, and at z=L there is an inductor connected. I need to find the boundary conditions that this gives me.

For z=0 the potential V(0,t)=0, since R=0, and if V was not zero, then the current would be infinite. So this is all good.

But at z=L I do not know what the boundary conditions are. Can you give me a push in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Niles.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hi all.

I am looking at a coaxial-cable, which starts at z=0 and ends at z=L, so it has a length L.

At z=0 is it short-circuited, and at z=L there is an inductor connected. I need to find the boundary conditions that this gives me.

For z=0 the potential V(0,t)=0, since R=0, and if V was not zero, then the current would be infinite. So this is all good.

But at z=L I do not know what the boundary conditions are. Can you give me a push in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Niles.
http://www.ece.uci.edu/docs/hspice/hspice_2001_2-269.html

Here's one of the better transmission line tutorials around. It might help to use the "lumped component" model to solve your problem.

Eric