Bought power supply, only half works.

GRNDPNDR

Joined Mar 1, 2012
With the cost of shipping the unit, and the additional $100 in brokerage fees, I basically cannot afford to send it back for replacement to pay another $200 in total brokerage fees as well as shipping both ways..... I might as well just buy TWO more power supplies.

So my only option might be to try and diagnose and fix it myself if possible, which is why I've come here because I don't know where to start looking at it.

It's a Mastech (RSR) HY3005F3, and the master channel doesn't seem to output any voltage.

the slave channel works fine, as well as the 5V constant so it could be a problem with one of the boards inside?

I was going to swap the boards but they soldered a couple of connections on and it makes it difficult to move without serious work.

I didn't notice anything wrong with the boards or any components physically, or at least nothing stood out.

so aside from that, is there anywhere I should start looking or checking to find the source of the problem?

Veracohr

Joined Jan 3, 2011
If you bought it new and it didn't work out of the box, shouldn't the seller be responsible for the replacement shipping costs?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
could be absolutely anything.. open it up..look..take pics..
could be as simple as a broken/bad wire/connection..
new/used?

and damn..where do you live that you have all those fees..? its only $200 new

GRNDPNDR

Joined Mar 1, 2012
Canada, purchased new through Amazon. The seller will offer a refund, but heres th problem

it cost me $231 with shipping cost. In Canadian dollars that turned out to be $263.

Add on to that UPS $94 brokerage fees, I've now paid $357 CAD to buy this unit.

Now if the seller refunds me $231 USD, I recieve only $251 CAD in return (today), Plus they also don't refund the $94 brokerage fees, so then I'm out about $105.

All this just to return the unit for a "refund" where I lose money.

I have looked inside the unit without tearing it completely apart at this time, and nothing stood out. I checked the connectors, checked the traces but the end result is the same so far,I adjust the pot and get no output through the master channel. it will switch into CC/CV mode.

Last edited:
It sounds like the regulation circuitry prior to the pass transistor is not doing its job, or the pass transistor itself is faulty.

Easiest route is to find the schematic for the unit and start measuring voltages, seeing if they are within spec.

GRNDPNDR

Joined Mar 1, 2012
I'll look around and see if I can find a schematic....that could take a while though.

of note is the fact that when I adjust the voltage knob, there is no clicking of relay's as there is with the slave channel.

However, the slave channel relays click at about 4V, and since I don't even get any output on the master channel I can assume that something is not getting to the "supply board" for the master channel.

where this becomes a problem is that I have to practically take apart the entire unit just to get to the smaller boards on the front panel.

I'll try and get some pics/video up later.

Last edited:

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Have you see the line voltage selector to the correct setting?

Maybe you could post some pictures of the boards inside...

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Canada, purchased new through Amazon. The seller will offer a refund, but heres th problem

it cost me $231 with shipping cost. In Canadian dollars that turned out to be $263.

Now if the seller refunds me $231 USD, I recieve only $251 CAD in return (today), Plus they also don't refund the $94 brokerage fees, so then I'm out about $105.

I have looked inside the unit without tearing it completely apart at this time, and nothing stood out. I checked the connectors, checked the traces but the end result is the same so far,I adjust the pot and get no output through the master channel. it will switch into CC/CV mode.
What about finding some in the USA to receive it and then send it to them ???

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
What's this brokerage fee? In my vast experience (selling one item to one Canadian) there was no such thing as a brokerage fee that I was aware of.

GRNDPNDR

Joined Mar 1, 2012
What's this brokerage fee? In my vast experience (selling one item to one Canadian) there was no such thing as a brokerage fee that I was aware of.

it seems to only apply to anything shipped over the border by UPS. I've never encountered it with any other shipping company. They sum it up as the cost of duty, taxes, etc.

It's complete bull#$@! as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather pay a higher shipping cost than have to pay an extra $94 at my door to get my package.

I am working through it with the seller, and maybe they can refund the total amount of money I paid in which case I would be happy.

Failing that I asked if internal boards were available separately as a service option.

If I end up stuck with this you can be sure I'm going to tear it apart and check as much as possible, but I may not be able to obtain a schematic.

a good set of pictures can actually be found here
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/mastech-hy3005f-3-power-supply-teardown/

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009

I never heard of "brokerage" fees. Should be unit price plus shipping. Period.

In the US, Amazon offers free buyer protection as part of buying through them. You should not be getting screwed o a new item purchase through them.

Ebay maybe, not Amazon.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
it seems to only apply to anything shipped over the border by UPS. I've never encountered it with any other shipping company. They sum it up as the cost of duty, taxes, etc.

It's complete bull#$@! as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather pay a higher shipping cost than have to pay an extra $94 at my door to get my package.

I am working through it with the seller, and maybe they can refund the total amount of money I paid in which case I would be happy.

Failing that I asked if internal boards were available separately as a service option.
That does not guarantee a fix. The power devices on the heatsinks are often what blows up.

If I end up stuck with this you can be sure I'm going to tear it apart and check as much as possible, but I may not be able to obtain a schematic.
You also won't be able to get the parts since everything now is made in China and many of the ICs are custom made for the device and not industry standard parts.

GRNDPNDR

Joined Mar 1, 2012
I never heard of "brokerage" fees. Should be unit price plus shipping. Period.

In the US, Amazon offers free buyer protection as part of buying through them. You should not be getting screwed o a new item purchase through them.

Ebay maybe, not Amazon.

Are you U.S.? Have you ever purchased anything from Canada shipped by UPS??

I completely hate it, and this is the kind of thing that happens to Canadian buyers all the time.

Veracohr

Joined Jan 3, 2011
I don't think I've heard the term 'brokerage' before in that context, but I'm familiar with the concept. I usually hear it called 'tariffs' and/or 'duties'.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Are you U.S.? Have you ever purchased anything from Canada shipped by UPS??

I completely hate it, and this is the kind of thing that happens to Canadian buyers all the time.
I do buy stuff from canada and I have never heard of a brokerage fee, nor would I ever pay one. I would use a different carrier.

By coincidence, Canada is where I get a product to add to milk which is an enzyme that converts the lactose so it can be digested. It's pricey, I remember it was from canada because I used payPal and it converted from canadian dollars to US dollars.

http://www.digestmilk.com/lacteezexl.html

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Can you post photos of the front panel and inside circuit boards?

If we can locate the circuit schematic there is a good chance that the problem can be identified.