Bought a board that has an adjustable pot - how to measure ohm vals

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by pityocamptes, Sep 25, 2012.

1. pityocamptes

Thread Starter Member

Jul 25, 2012
    I bought a cheap booster board that has an adj pot for voltage output. I want to remove the pot and instead run it to a resistor box for hardwired (switched) voltage outputs. Can I measure the pot resistance for a specific voltage while the pot is on the board or does the pot have to be removed, once voltage output value is reached and then measure the ohm value on the pot for a comparable resistor value? Oh, and one more thing, the pot has three legs, what should I do with the 3rd leg when I hard wire in a resistor selection box? Thanks!

2. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Yes, you have to remove the pot to measure its resistance, but not yet. As you have correctly noted, the pot does have three legs; the center leg is called the wiper. Your circuit may use the pot as a variable resistor, in which case the wiper and one of the legs will be electrically connected. If that is the case, you will be able to substitute a single fixed resistor. But if all three of the pot legs are in use, it will be more complicated. Before you remove the pot, you should find out whether all three of the pot legs are in use or not.

3. pityocamptes

Thread Starter Member

Jul 25, 2012

Thanks. How would I know if all three legs are in use? Thanks. So, would I basically (without factoring in the 3rd leg) just pull the pot and use temp connectors like alligator clips, find the voltage, remove the pot via the clips, read the ohm value and then substitute that value with a resistor? Now if all three legs are in use what then? I have noticed that on some adj voltage circuits the difference between a pot and a fixed resistor is basically just joining one of the circuits ilke here:

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Technical/Voltage-Regulator/

4. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    The best way is to look at the connection points of the three legs. If two of them are directly connected (either with wire or a trace on the PCB), then the pot is used as a variable resistor.

5. pityocamptes

Thread Starter Member

Jul 25, 2012

Ok, I should be getting it in the mail this week. I will look at it and take a pic. Thanks!

6. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    If you have or can get a schematic, by all means scan it and post it. That will answer most of our questions. BTW, I have to go out for several hours and will not have internet access.

7. pityocamptes

Thread Starter Member

Jul 25, 2012
  8. pityocamptes

Thread Starter Member

Jul 25, 2012
    OK, just got the board. The side of the adjustable pot says:

BAOTER
    xchc electron
    _________1__________
    3 V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V 1
    _________2__________

CW

The top of the pot says:

194 T
    W 103

The bottom the pot has all three legs in line if that makes a difference. Thanks!

9. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Post a schematic if you have it. Post pictures of the top and bottom of the board. Someone can help tell whether the wiper is tied to either end of the pot.

10. pityocamptes

Thread Starter Member

Jul 25, 2012
  11. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    It's not possible to tell from the photos. Use your DMM to measure between the three pins on the bottom of the bottom of the board. Rotate the pot control all the way in one direction and measure resistance between 1 and 2, 1 and 3, 2 and 3. Turn the pot control all the way in the other direction and repeat the process. Post the results. Maybe we can tell.

12. pityocamptes

Thread Starter Member

Jul 25, 2012
  13. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Or just remove the pot. :D

It looks like the wiper and one end of the pot were tied together, so you can connect your fixed resistor between the the wiper pad and the pad that is not already connected to the wiper.

14. pityocamptes

Thread Starter Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Thanks. What would be the best way to find out the ohm value for a certain voltage, etc. I want to make a switched resistor box for multiple fixed voltage outputs. Thanks!

15. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    You will need to reconnect the pot to the pcb (using wires,) adjust the pot to achieve the voltage you want, disconnect one side of the pot, and measure the resistance. Repeat for each voltage setting that you want.

One thing you need to consider is what will happen to the circuit when no resistor is connected, i.e., between switch positions. Maybe nothing, but think it through. You really need the schematic for the circuit.

16. pityocamptes

Thread Starter Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Thanks, it will always have at least on resistor value connected. I may have the final position on the switch actually be the on off, everything after that will be fixed starting from 1.5 volts to 12 volts. I think that should work?