Booting from flash drive

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by Bush, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Bush

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 29, 2008
    I'm also trying to figure out how to boot from a USB flash drive. How do I change the EFI settings to get the USB drive to show up when I hold "Option" while starting up? Is there anything else I need to do?

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Please don't tack your thread onto an existing one. We call it hijacking and discourage the practice. Use the New Thread button next to the Post Reply.

What are you booting? A MS computer will have a "boot from USB" selection in the setup. Macs may respond to threats. What's an EFI setting?
  3. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    An EFI setting is a setting for the Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) which is analogous to the BIOS firmware interface. MacOS uses it as opposed to BIOS.

OP, what you are trying to do is not an easy task (take a look at this thread for some of the issues). The other thread was about making a bootable LiveUSB set-up of Linux, what you are wanting to do is create a USB-bound installation of Linux that has a bootable option at boot-time. I am not aware of there being a safe or reliable way of doing this (that's not say one doesn't exist).