Boot Rom in MCU

aamirali

Joined Feb 2, 2012
What is the purpose of boot rom in MCU.

Like in LPC1317 there is 16KB boot rom. How do I use it.
Can it be used for data storage also.

I read that it is used to load hex code of program into various section of memory......is it.

Last edited:

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
It is a place where a part of program that is responisble for updating the code should reside. The difference between boot rom and normal flash usually is that code executed from within the boot rom is able to reprogram the flash, while code running from flash is not able to do that.
You can have a look at MSP430, their bootloader is pre-programmed, so you can use it from the get go, without buying a special programmer to load your code into the device.

dataman19

Joined Dec 26, 2009
Cool thread... Anyone know of a Boot ROM code source for an 8085 CPU?
I have an application, and want to set it up to Point the start at a particular line of code.
Dave
Phoenix, AZ

aamirali

Joined Feb 2, 2012
It is a place where a part of program that is responisble for updating the code should reside. The difference between boot rom and normal flash usually is that code executed from within the boot rom is able to reprogram the flash, while code running from flash is not able to do that.
You can have a look at MSP430, their bootloader is pre-programmed, so you can use it from the get go, without buying a special programmer to load your code into the device.

that's mean if I use SWD or JTAG, basically they they access this boot rom part to program IC