*Boosting 3V to 5V (using discrete components)

JUAN DELA CRUZ

Joined May 27, 2008
Hi everyone, its been a long time:)

Well, I was looking for the right circuit to boost 3V from a battery to 5V using only discrete component coz' dc to dc converter IC aren't available here in my country. Can any one help me to design a circuit and meets atleast 80% efficiency?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I need 5V/ 800mA to charge 3.7V lithium-ion battery.
OK, so to convert 3v to 5v/800mA with an 80% efficient converter, you will need:
5v/3v*80% = 1.333..Amperes from the 3v supply. Will the 3v supply be able to handle that current without dropping voltage? The lower the 3v supply goes, the more current will be required to charge the battery.

JUAN DELA CRUZ

Joined May 27, 2008
OK, so to convert 3v to 5v/800mA with an 80% efficient converter, you will need:
5v/3v*80% = 1.333..Amperes from the 3v supply. Will the 3v supply be able to handle that current without dropping voltage? The lower the 3v supply goes, the more current will be required to charge the battery.
Yes sir, my battery source is rated 3V7/ 1800mAh.
I need to charge a Lithium-ion battery thats why I need a approx. 5V to charge it. I need a circuit using common and discrete components.
Thank you.

JUAN DELA CRUZ

Joined May 27, 2008
Can you get CMOS 555 timers, and P-channel and N-channel MOSFETs?
Yes sir. Cmos 555 is available as well as the P-channel and N-channel MOSFETs.
Do you think it is possible do add an LED indicator to indicates the remaining charge of the source battery and at the same time to indicates if the battery being charge is fully charge already?

Thank you.

Last edited:

JUAN DELA CRUZ

Joined May 27, 2008
Do you think it is possible do add an LED indicator to indicates the remaining charge of the source battery and at the same time to indicates if the battery being charge is fully charge already?

Thank you.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
You never charge a lithium-ion battery cell with "approx. 5V".
If the voltage goes above 4.2V then the battery will catch on fire.
If the charging current is too high then the battery will catch on fire.
If it is charged too long then it will catch on fire.
If the battery is discharged too low then normal charging current will cause it to catch on fire.

Use a battery charger IC that is made for charging a lithium-ion battery cell.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Sounds like you are using a (aprox 3 v ) battery to change a ( aprox. 3 v ) battery. Seems odd.
It is odd.
He is making one battery catch on fire (have you seen the videos of a lithium battery fire on You-Tube?) by over-charging it from a boosted another battery.

My remote controlled toy helicopters have lithium batteries that are charged from another battery. But the charger works properly and never over-charges.

JUAN DELA CRUZ

Joined May 27, 2008
@audioguru
Ok sir.
So what will be the safe circuit (using Cmos 555 and P-type and N-type mosfet) that can enable to boost 3V7/ 1800mAh from a battery to a specific amount of voltage and current to charge another lithium-ion battery rated 3V7/ 900mAh.

Thank you.

JUAN DELA CRUZ

Joined May 27, 2008
Do you think it is possible to add an LED indicator to indicates the remaining charge of the source battery and at the same time to indicates if the battery being charge is fully charge already?

Thank you.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Maxim and most other semiconductor manufacturers make battery charger ICs for charging lithium battery cells safely.

It is possible to measure the loaded voltage of a lithium battery then guess how much charge is remaining.
it is difficult to determine how much a lithium battery is charged.

JUAN DELA CRUZ

Joined May 27, 2008
What do you think is the better component needed to boost 3V/1800mAh to 5V
with at least 80% efficiency if LMC555 is used as the Oscillator
and mosfet is used instead of a BJT to achieve higher efficiency?
What will be the value of the mosfet, inductor, diode and capacitor?

Thank you.

JUAN DELA CRUZ

Joined May 27, 2008
0k. I will use BJT instead.
So, what do you think is the proper value of the BJT to serves my purpose?
How about the inductor, diode, capacitor?

Can anyone please assist me here.
Thank you.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I don't know why you want to boost the voltage of one lithium battery to a voltage that is much too high to charge another lithium battery.

Maybe somebody can remember the boost circuit they used 20 years ago before voltage boost ICs were available.
Maybe somebody can remember the lithium battery charger circuit they used 12 years ago before battery charger ICs were available.

JUAN DELA CRUZ

Joined May 27, 2008
@audioguru
Yeah your right sir. .the circuit that I want to build is quite old tech. But that is what I need. To build a boost converter using LMC555 AS THE OSC.
But dont know what BJT is needed to boost 3V to 5V
As well as the proper inductor needed.
Plz. Help me. Thank you.

@sgt. Wookie
Sir, LMC555 is available here in my country. Please help me to design a boost converter to serve my purpose. I dont have enough 'know how' regarding this circuit that's why I'am seeking for assistance. Thank you.