Boost Regulator Charging and PWM control

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Andy Richardson, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Andy Richardson

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Hi all,

I need some help with an electromechnical project.
    I have a motor generator that when driven 90% of the time will be charging a battery. The motor speed will vary so the terminal voltage will vary from 0V to a highest expected of 8V. The lead acid battery needs to be charged at around 13.5-14V, perhaps something required to prevent over charging too.
    The other 10% of the time (perhaps 30seconds to a minute at a time) the reverse will occur with the battery driving the motor, provisions required to control the motor speed as I don't wish it to overheat it or have a varied motor output.

From my own research I have a good idea of the theories required to complete this, but I'm not confident with what componetry I need. Especially when buck-boost regulators seem to come without any of the capacitors or extra parts to actually make it usuable..
    I would really appreciate assistance with this, I can't disclose the products end use but it is medical based to assist the elderly.

Many thanks,
  2. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    1. Power or current levels?
    2. Hybrid bicycle?

3. Andy Richardson

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 18, 2016

During charge I think it will be max 2A, but in discharge the draw is expected around 20-30A, however ideally I wish to control that.

Yes very similar.