Boost converter ripple current

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by sprunger, Oct 20, 2013.

1. sprunger

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 20, 2013
    We have to design a boost converter with some "real world" components - i.e. that are available for sale. Whilst looking at the possible parts for a boost converter I came across references to making sure that the capacitor could handle the "ripple current".

I looked a bit further and can see 2 possibilities.
    1) The ripple in the capacitor current itself ie the difference between the minimum and maximum capacitor current.
    2) The other possibility is that there is a ripple current called delta i,L which is mainly affected by the size of the inductor for given input voltage and duty cycle.

I found a capacitor which lists its "ripple current" rating as 0.8A/800 mA. Does this mean it can handle a ripple of 0.8A in the inductor current or can its own current only vary by +/- 0.8A?

The source of my confusion may be misunderstanding a page here - http://www.analog.com/library/analog...-09/boost.html

"The current ripple, shown as ΔIL ...The average inductor current flows into the load, while the ripple current flows into the output capacitor"

2. Jony130

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 17, 2009
    • 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      17.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013