Boost Circuit for LED's

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Bearing in mind P=IV, what I am about to ask makes no sense.

I have a 3 Watt LED being run from a 12Volt 14Ah battery, The battery is charged from a 20 Watt solar panel through a regulator.

This works no problem. However I have had an incident and feel that possibly I could do with more Light. I have a 8 Watt

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Sorry My whole post was not available for reasons I am not sure of. Please see it below

Bearing in mind P=IV, what I am about to ask makes no sense.

I have a 3 Watt LED being run from a 12Volt 14Ah battery, The battery is charged from a 20 Watt solar panel through a regulator.

This works no problem. However I have had an incident and feel that possibly I could do with more Light. I have a 8Watt 12 Volt LED lamp which will give the desired effect.

I if possible would like to continue using the same batteries but be able to now use the 8watt LED lamp.

To do this and this is the crazy thing I want to only use the three watts, otherwise I have to change the panel and increase the battery capacity.

I have been reading about Buck and Boost circuits and was wondering if this is the correct avenue to be following

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
If you want more light you are going to have to give up more wattage..
More wattage = more light..

Lets try this..
You have a car that only goes 40 miles per hour..
You need to go faster..
So you buy another car that can go 100 miles per hour
BUT you are only going to drive it at 40 miles per hour..

So you aren't going any faster...
You have the potential to go faster but even with this car that could go faster you are still only driving it at 40 miles per hour..

You have a 20W solar panel..
It should be capable of delivering 20W.. So why not just plug in the 8W LED and be happy with more light.. It just won't last as long on the battery at night..

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
If you want more light you are going to have to give up more wattage..
More wattage = more light..

Lets try this..
You have a car that only goes 40 miles per hour..
You need to go faster..
So you buy another car that can go 100 miles per hour
BUT you are only going to drive it at 40 miles per hour..

So you aren't going any faster...
You have the potential to go faster but even with this car that could go faster you are still only driving it at 40 miles per hour..

You have a 20W solar panel..
It should be capable of delivering 20W.. So why not just plug in the 8W LED and be happy with more light.. It just won't last as long on the battery at night..
Thank you for this extremely clever and clear explanation. I was reaching for an olive branch. I will increase the battery capacity and a larger panel.