Boolean equation help

RBR1317

Joined Nov 13, 2010
I've never seen DeMorgan's described that way.
Since I don't want you to be the victim of a deprived education, I have attached this short textbook extract from "Digital Logic Design" by Brian Holdsworth & Clive Woods, Fourth Edition, 2002, Newnes publishing, pg 91, Section 4.11 "Alternative function representations".

DeMorganSplit.png

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
So it's a crutch. There's nothing wrong with crutches as long as they are used properly. Swapping symbols and inverting all the I/O bubbles is also a crutch, but I use it all the time.

You can also extend that latter one to XOR/XNOR in that you can swap one for the other provided you invert an odd number of I/O ports. A corollary to this is that you can swap any even number of ports and keep the same symbol. These two rules are very useful for minimizing gate counts in logic involving XOR/XNOR gates -- something that is significantly more difficult to do with K-maps (at least for most people).

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Glad to hear that. It takes time and effort and working a lot of problems. But usually something just clicks at some point and then it all makes sense.

electronicsbeginner12

Joined Dec 14, 2014
Glad to hear that. It takes time and effort and working a lot of problems. But usually something just clicks at some point and then it all makes sense.
Yes. That is correct. Practice makes perfect. It's great to have a resource site like this. The concepts in electronics can get quite complex and going through an online electronics technology program is very difficult due to not having the one on one interaction with the instructors. I appreciate everyone's help.