Boolean Algebra Simplification Help Needed

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by wordy007, Dec 30, 2009.

1. wordy007

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hi im new here and have never used forums like this but so far it looks very good. Im having a spot of trouble simplifying a boolean algebra expression for my homework and tried everything i can think of but nothing seems to look right.

The expression is: (p' = inverted) (++ = XOR)
    (p'qr's') + (pq'r's') + (pq'rs') + (pqr's)+(pqrs')

Things i have tried so far:
    Distributive rule:
    (p'qr's') + pq's'(r'r) + pq(r'd+cd')
    Cancellation ([r]*r) = 1:
    (p'qr's') + pq's' + pq(r'd+cd')
    XOR - (r'd+cd'):
    (p'qr's') + pq's' + pq(c++d)

Then that is as far as i can get it.

I have also tried multiplying out the brackets at the beginning and using commutative law and cancellation to get to:
    q'+sr'+ps'+q'rp+s'q+p+r
    I would write the steps i took to get to this but its 3 pages long and more than likley i've done it all wrong.

Would appreciate any help i can get as i just can't get it into it's simplest form!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  2. Ratch

Mar 20, 2007
    wordy007,

No one like to read that clunky, clumsy notation you are using. Who taught you that, and where does it come from? I see it often on questions about Boolean algebra. Resubmit your expression using the following notation. It is so much easier to read.

[p]*q*[r]*) ===> p'q'r's+pqrs+....

Then I will help you.

Ratch

3. wordy007

Dec 30, 2009
    Sorry about that was just copying what i saw others were doing, i'll edit it now and again any help at all appreciated

4. wordy007

Dec 30, 2009
    Again any help appreciated the more i look at the problem the harder it is to figure out.

5. Fraser_Integration

Nov 28, 2009
    I've just put it into a Karnaugh map (information in the online textbook if you need it), and it doesn't simplify much, I came out with:

P'QRS + PQRS' + PQ'S' + PRS'

6. JotDot

Jan 1, 2010
    I Haven't seen the notation specified by Ratch - I prefer what you submitted.

Sorry Fraser_Integration but I can't seem to agree with your results - not saying I messed up :)

Original Expression:
    (p'qr's') + (pq'r's') + (pq'rs') + (pqr's)+(pqrs')

factor out the r's' and the rs' we get:
    (r's') (p'q + pq') + (rs')(pq' + pq) + pqr's

Rewriting (pq' + pq) will give (p)(q'+q) or simply p
    Leaving us with (r's') (p'q + pq') + prs' + pqr's

Note that p'q + pq' is (p xor q) but that does not give you much.

Thus the final form would be a sum of four products:
    p'qr's' + pq'r's' + pqr's + pr's

Making a Karnaugh Map for this shows there is not much possible.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  7. Ratch

Mar 20, 2007
    Fraser_Integration,

Wrong answer if you are using JotDot's intrepretation of the original Boolean expression. See below.

JotDot,

I don't understand. First you say you say you have not seen the notation I recommended, and then you use it even though you prefer the OP's notation. Anyway, the answer you submitted is wrong. The correct answer is p'qr's'+pqr's+pq's'+prs' . How do I know that is the correct answer? I used a K-map and checked it with the program featured in the link below.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=22347&highlight=logic+lovers

Ratch

8. JotDot

Jan 1, 2010
    Sorry. I didn't realize the O/P edited the orignal post - I was expecting a second post so I wrongly assumed you didn't like how it was written. I should pay better attention.

I was simply trying to work out the math for the O/P to show the simplifications - which is what I believe the O/P wanted - not just the final answer (which I disagreed with).
    I see I goofed writng down the last poduct; misplacing a symbol. It should be +prs' (not +pr's) Also I did miss one final reduction when I now look at the K-Map again.

Your second posted answer I agree with: p'qr's'+pqr's+pq's'+prs'

p.s.: That progam you linked is great for double checking results Would have been handy for me before I posted :)

9. Fraser_Integration

Nov 28, 2009
    I'm such a tool. I totally misread my own K-map. Shouldn't be doing boolean algebra after midnight!

10. wordy007

Dec 30, 2009
    thanks very much guys for the help, it seems this boolean algebra doesn't simplify down much. Thank you all very much again all i have to do now is turn that into a logic circuit :)