Book recommendations for properly learning Spice and OP Amps

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by fjord, May 10, 2012.

1. fjord

Thread Starter New Member

May 10, 2012
    Hi, my exposure to spice up until now has been limited to what I've done in labs for school. I'm wondering if someone might have a recommendation for a resource for properly learning Spice, creating your own netlistings etc. Something akin to k&r for C, but for Spice.

Thanks.

Also, Hi. I'm new to the forum.
    Ω

2. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    #12 likes this.
  3. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Is there a particular reason you want to learn how to do netlists for Spice, when most Spice programs now use schematic entry to generate the netlist for you? :confused:

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Similar to strantor...

Application notes from the manufacturers are wonderful sources, and they are FREE!
    I have a book called, "Understanding IC Operational Amplifiers" by Roger Melen and Harry Garland (Howard W Sams Publishing, 1971), but I rarely look at it. That post strantor provided is actually better than my book!

5. fjord

Thread Starter New Member

May 10, 2012
    Thanks everyone.

I noticed there are good resources on this site about the topics I was asking about too. (I should have checked first). The TI op-amp page is awesome, thank you.

I asked about net lists because I'm supposedly going to be doing some research for a professor this summer, and I just figured it might help to get very familiar with Spice. He's old fashioned and I remembered in class him showing us netlists and saying we should be able to do it this way without a GUI etc. I dont know.

To be honest I don't know what to expect. I've taken 2 courses on electronics but of course I still know barely anything. He said the research is specifically about extending bandwidth of OTA's (Operational Transconductance Amplifiers). I have my first meeting with him Wednesday, and am just trying to learn some stuff until then. Kind of lacking any direction right now. Worked a lot with discrete transistors in class, figured my practical op amp knowledge needed work.

Thanks again