Book List

MusicTech

Joined Apr 4, 2008
I have a pile up to the sky of Electrical engineering books from my Grandfather, who was in his day an engineering mastermind. unfortunately, they are very outdated, as one could imagine. Being even sub entry level E. engineer, I do not really know what to look for in a good EE book. Could I have a list of your five favorite EE books and authors that are entry level, and maybe a couple just above that. I have no trouble with math, but I don't about the concepts, so any suggestions would be humongously appreciated, thanks

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
I have a pile up to the sky of Electrical engineering books from my Grandfather, who was in his day an engineering mastermind. unfortunately, they are very outdated, as one could imagine. Being even sub entry level E. engineer, I do not really know what to look for in a good EE book. Could I have a list of your five favorite EE books and authors that are entry level, and maybe a couple just above that. I have no trouble with math, but I don't about the concepts, so any suggestions would be humongously appreciated, thanks
Personally, i find "Electronic Principles" by Malvino a very good book. I read the fourth edition and is very good and the layout of the book is fine. I saw the sixth edition but it is black and white so i dont find it nice because it makes you feel boring. I didnt see the seventh edition (the last one) but as i know it is printed in colour.

MusicTech

Joined Apr 4, 2008
Thanks, I looked at a few inside peeks on the internet, it looks really good, Unfortunately I haven't found anything but the 6th at bookstores, but I will keep an eye out

Thanks again

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
How was electricity was working in the past thingmaker3?
Yes. That is exactly my question. What is the difference between how it worked when the "outdated" books were written and how it works now? What has changed about the universe to make the old books "outdated?"

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Yes. That is exactly my question. What is the difference between how it worked when the "outdated" books were written and how it works now? What has changed about the universe to make the old books "outdated?"
I think it doesnt change the way it works. I am a new student at university, first year, i dont see anything different from what i know about electricity (i studied many hours in the internet about electricity and electronics).

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
The only things that get outdated quickly are elements of microprocessor/digital electronics that have developed so fast/much over the last 40+ years. The fundamentals are still the same. Look how well Art of Electronics has aged, even the 1st edition, which is nearly 30 years old.

Dave

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
The only things that get outdated quickly are elements of microprocessor/digital electronics that have developed so fast/much over the last 40+ years. The fundamentals are still the same. Look how well Art of Electronics has aged, even the 1st edition, which is nearly 30 years old.

Dave
Thats right Dave. The foundamental laws of electricity are the same but the various chips are developing. This is something logical.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Thats right Dave. The foundamental laws of electricity are the same but the various chips are developing. This is something logical.
Not just fundamental laws, but the basic operating characteristic of components; e.g. BJTs, MOSFETs, JETs, diodes, capacitors etc are still the same today as they were in the past. Sure we now have MOSFETs in <45nm technology and it is no longer (typically) Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor, but they fundamentally work the same.

Dave

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Sure we now have MOSFETs in <45nm technology and it is no longer (typically) Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor, but they fundamentally work the same.

Dave[/QUOTE]

What are MOSFET's then constructed? (the new ones)

MusicTech

Joined Apr 4, 2008
Exactly what I was going to say had i gotten here earlier. Yes, all the fundamentals are there, but I have volumes on cathode rays and phonographs. Do they even make them anymore. (well i know they make those new phonographs that have the built in casette cd radio deal also built in)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
wow, well still, I think you can agree that their use has decreased dramtically sice the 50's
Many people still have CRT TVs, me included. I am still of the opinion they give a much better picture than LCD, Plasma and the like. Maybe these type are better nowadays.

I would also say that it is not so much a decrease in usage of old technology (although that may be true in many cases) but the explosion in the usage of transistor-technology since the 1950s and certainly 1960s when the IC came along. A revolution (and that is no overstatement) has happened in the lifetimes of some if the people still alive today - quite incredible.

Dave

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I wish to apologize for yanking this thread off topic. Rather bad form for a moderator, I must admit.:(

I have found Donald P. Leach's Basic Electric Circuits to be an excellent work. It was not published recently, but it deals with electricity rather than technology.

For technological resplendence, try something by Irving Gottlieb.

MusicTech

Joined Apr 4, 2008
I can definitely see where you're coming from with CRT giving better pictures. The only problem of course is there potential size. I feel the same way though about sound, mp3 never has and probably never will deliver the quality of a well-maintained record. Once again though, size is the issue.