BOO Switch (in cars)

OmarAlMansoori

Joined Oct 13, 2014
Hello, I'm doing some research on how the BOO switch stops the driver from changing the car from Park to Drive (for example). Could anyone fill me in on the details, I'm having trouble finding something that explains what the switch exactly does and how it locks the (shifter?).
I would find it extremely helpful if someone could post the circuit the BOO switch is included in, in an average car. Also please keep it simple, I'm not that experienced with circuits (or cars).

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You are obviously not solving the problem according to his perception of the issue.
This is an ongoing problem. I have been the recipient of modest amounts of opprobrium for the very same transgression. I think we must all resolve to do a better job of adjusting our perceptions to those of the original posters. If that is not possible then I guess we must suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
there is a hydraulic line from the brakes that allows you to shift out of park only when the brakes are applied.
Can you give an example of a car that does this? It is done in all cars I'm aware of with a solenoid in the transmission. The brake light switch is now both a normally open(NO) contact type switch in modern cars, working with the brake pedal, they haven't been tied to the hydraulics since the 1970's. The NO contacts are for the brake lights, when the brakes are applied the lights come on. When the car is in 'park' the same contacts send a signal to the transmission ECU to engage the shift solenoid.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
There's no cylinder but it just a electric solenoid on the shifter the prevents the shifter from moving ... That why there is a button on the shifter to release it ...It's called a shift override ...
Trust me I towed cars for a living and that's how it's done or you can remove the shifter cable..

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
mazda and ford use hydraulic interlocks. not switches. you can tell since the shifter will not move till you step on the brake.
Don't know about Mazda, but no Ford I've ever changed a transmission in had any brake and transmission connection. https://www.google.com/search?q=for...la:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

And hydraulic brake light switches went away shortly after power disc brakes came into wide spread use. Due to the higher line pressure needed for disc brakes. The hydraulic switches diaphragm couldn't take the higher pressure.