Bomb Disposal Robot Control!!

NM2008

Joined Feb 9, 2008
Hi,
Wasn't too sure where to actually post this one, but anyway, I was wondering, does anybody have any info on the control system that is used on bomb disarming machines that the disposal units use. (the tracked robots, with the camera and the arm!)

I found it difficult to even find any documents on the web which describe the control system used.

I have heard that they can be controlled from up to two miles away, through a web browser, this sounds a bit far fetched (2miles!:eek:) but would it be possible through satellite?

This is as far as my knowledge goes on this system:confused:. I don't even know what this type of control is called, does it come under radio?

So thought I might ask you people, for some help on trying to understand this setup.

All help appreciated,
Regards NM

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Yes you can use radio waves to control something remotely and its not strange that they control it from two miles distance. How do you control the small remote controlled planes from a very long distance? You can do the same with this, you can buy one of this radio controllers and modify it for your needs.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you went to any Battle Bot or Robotic Combat site they would have a lot more information on the subject, since it is very close to what they do.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Most information on the world of EOD (Explosive Ordinance Disposal) is tightly controlled, and for good reason. Letting "tricks of the trade" out could seriously threaten the safety of law enforcement and military personnel.

Unless you're directly involved in it, you don't need to know.

But in general, military and law enforcement can use higher-powered transmitters and on different frequency bands than ordinary civilians. In reality, you can transmit for quite a distance on just a few Watts of power.