Bob Hoover dead at 94

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
http://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2016/10/bob-hoover-one-of-nations-greatest-pilots-dead-at-94/

For those of us who also fly / flew planes, Hoover is a legend. For the rest who don't know and want to meet an American legend check him out.

I saw him fly many times in the SF bay area in the 70's while I was working through my pilot's ratings and especially liked that he flew the same Aero-Commander that I was flying while working on my multi-engine ratings. Full disclosure: I could not be compared in any favorable way to Mr. Hoover although he did inspire me to fly better but I never could get the hand of pouring iced tea while rolling the airplane.

And this.
And this.
And this. Moxie!

Blue skies and clear six, Bob.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Sad to hear he is gone. The pilots' group at RST (Minnesota) used to sponsor a July 4th airshow. We had him come to perform in the mid-1980's (his age mid-60's). He was already giving him grief about retirement at age 60, but you couldn't tell it from the way he flew. A real gentleman too.

John

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I saw Mr. Hoover in an air show at Willow Run airport do aerobatics in his Aero-Commander with one engine shut down. That, as they say, takes just a bit more than average skill.