Blue point magnetic LED work light.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
An item I found laying by the road - it works too, I opened it up to identify the polarity of the charging jack and found that it contains a lithium battery. Not a problem, I can use one of the chargers I designed for e-cig batteries.

There was no sign of it in my google search results, there were various Blue Point work lights, but none look anything like it, I wondered whether it had anything to do with Blaupunkt - Which is German for blue point, but most of the similar types were turning up on China products sites.

Its dark blue with darker rubber buffers around it and has a wrap around handle that pivots in the sides of the case and has a belt clip on the handle. It has 4x (very bright) power LEDs in a sort of blister lens/window on the front. Its a bit bigger than 2x the size of a 20 pack of cigarettes.

Just wondering whether anyone can identify the model number?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
An item I found laying by the road - it works too, I opened it up to identify the polarity of the charging jack and found that it contains a lithium battery. Not a problem, I can use one of the chargers I designed for e-cig batteries.

There was no sign of it in my google search results, there were various Blue Point work lights, but none look anything like it, I wondered whether it had anything to do with Blaupunkt - Which is German for blue point, but most of the similar types were turning up on China products sites.

Its dark blue with darker rubber buffers around it and has a wrap around handle that pivots in the sides of the case and has a belt clip on the handle. It has 4x (very bright) power LEDs in a sort of blister lens/window on the front. Its a bit bigger than 2x the size of a 20 pack of cigarettes.

A pic would come in handy...

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
A pic would come in handy...
Now I have to decide whether its important enough to look for a camera that works!

It could be a pretty old model that's pretty much faded from the internet, I've no way of knowing how much of the scuffing was put there by the previous owner or how many times it got run over laying in the road.

If someone was familiar with that brand, they might know who the main importer is - and they might have legacy datasheet archives.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015

Surly you mean a lithium-ion or lithium-polymer battery? --- Attempting to charge a lithium (metal) battery could be a 'problem' indeed --- unless, that is, you are contemplating a pyrotechnics dosplay in advance of Independance Day;););)

Best regards
HP

PS --- To all whom it may concern, please pardon any perceived 'micro-aggression' (ostensibly) vested in my reference to 'The Fourth' -- my bad!;) --- FWIW I have no problems with references to others' national holidays!:)
Of the many laurels we human beings have rightfully acrued -- politics is most distinctly not among them!:rolleyes:

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Surly you mean a lithium-ion or lithium-polymer battery? --- Attempting to charge a lithium (metal) battery could be a 'problem' indeed --- unless, that is, you are contemplating a pyrotechnics dosplay in advance of Independance Day;););)

I'm sort of guessing the manufacturer probably wouldn't have bothered fitting a charging jack if the cell was non-rechargeable.

I did mention the charging jack in my original post in that I'd had the lamp apart to check its polarity.

!:rolleyes:

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Blue Point electronics is usually associated with Snap-On tools $$$
They came up in some of the search results - but I got the impression that the item was decidedly Chinese, Snap on tend to do at least reasonable quality stuff, and its usually their name brand on it.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
That looks like the Snap-On logo
That seems to be the general consensus.

No pictures of the one I have turned up in my search, so its probably fairly old.

Its incredibly bright, I'm guessing whoever lost it wasn't too happy about it.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I'm sort of guessing the manufacturer probably wouldn't have bothered fitting a charging jack if the cell was non-rechargeable.

I did mention the charging jack in my original post in that I'd had the lamp apart to check its polarity.

!:rolleyes:
Firstly, my post was well nigh in jest;) Secondly, how do you know it's a charging jack? Provision for optional connection of mains derived power is not unheard of... -- 'Tho I'll grant probably unlikely in a portable lamp:)

Best Regards
HP