Blown components in Mitsubishi Carisma ECU

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by brainsofts, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brainsofts

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Hi Guys,

I am trying to repair the ECU of my old car Mitsubishi Carsima 1.6/96. The check engine lamp is not working so I traced from the corresponding ECU pin and found that a resistor and transistor are blown. I think the transistor should be MOSFET but not sure.
    I will replace them but the problem is the resistor is very burnt and difficult to identify the color rings and the transistor does not have any markings so I do not know what to use for replacement.

I have attached few pics of the board with focus over the dead components.

Can you help me please to recognize those components? Or maybe to use other alternatives which will do the job?

Thanks in advance. Nikolay

2. MCU88

Mar 12, 2015
    My best advice to you is to go to an local wrecking yard and purchase an used replacement on the cheap if you can and save yourself a splitting headache. ECU repairs are an specialized entity. There is an reason as to why your resistor and transistor has burnt out. You cannot just simply replace them, as it is likely that they will blow again. You must discover the reason as to why they burnt out to begin with. Kinda like when you blow an head gasket; why did it blow? No water? Faulty water pump? Blocked radiator? Thermostat not opening?

3. brainsofts

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Thanks for your advice.
    I know the reason of blowing. It was my fault. I replaced all dashboard regular bulbs with led ones but one of them was short-circuited from the manifacturer. I replaced it but the damage was already done.
    That is why I am almost sure that replacement of those elements should be enough. Everything else works OK with the ECU, only this bulb driver.
    You are right about buying the replacement but I still want to try to fix this one.

4. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    The pics don't help much :(. At least tell us the component numbers next to the dead components, e.g. Rxx, Qxx.

5. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Sorry, wrong website, even though this is a repair.

The owners of All About Circuits have elected not to allow discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:

This can be found in our Terms of Service (ToS)

Here is a site that may provide you with some assistance: Electro Tech Online
    Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.