Blown charging ic, need help with replacement

baronpork

Joined Apr 16, 2013
Got myself into a bit of face-meet-palm situation while wiring a +5v power cable for my SJ4000 camera. Reverse polarity did its thing.
There is no obvious damage, blown/black bits but i suspect i have blown UN8HX charging IC.
I cant find a replacement for it in UK and trying to get it somewhere that doesnt involve slow boat from china or 30gbp delivery charge for a grain of sand.
The camera works just fine when hooked up to usb cable, which is also charging port, but charging capability is gone.

Alternately i might replace it with analogous replacement if i knew what they were.

Maybe someone here (uk based) might spare one IC, i'll pay the part and shipping of course.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I googled the part number to find out what it was. Several other part numbers were listed as equivalents if that helps:
UN8HX Single 4.2V 500mA small size Lithium charge management IC Also supplied as 2YL6, H1JC, 54B4, G5242

baronpork

Joined Apr 16, 2013
The only equivalent i found on ebay was 2YL6, 7gbp delivered. ghhhhhh...

Where do people buy ic's in small quantities to not be ripped off ?

baronpork

Joined Apr 16, 2013
Slow boat from china it is. Shopping for discreete components is apparently a nightmare...

And what a hell is with delivery charges in uk ? 12 pounds to deliver a single smd component ?

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Have you tried digikey or mouser and selecting the USPS shipping option? The USPS priority mail rates for international are excellent.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Slow boat from china it is. Shopping for discreete components is apparently a nightmare...

And what a hell is with delivery charges in uk ? 12 pounds to deliver a single smd component ?
Royal mail impose a racketeering 'handling charge' to collect import duty.

For small value orders, some Chinese suppliers put "gift" on the declaration - no duty/no handling charge.

There is probably a value threshold for duty to be applicable.