blower controle help! 4 20ma 0- 10vdc.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Guss Bort, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Guss Bort

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Greetings all.
    I'm putting together an iron melting furnace called a cupola. it needs a big blower to supply combustion air to foundry coke inside the furnace. i bought a blower from eBay that is just right. thing is, i need a controlled input of 20ma 0 -10vdc to a just the blower.
    blower specs:
    AMETEK NAUTILAIR 150231 8.9" 226 MM 480 CFM VARIABLE SPEED BLOWER FAN 120 V VAC

the 120vac input is converted to DC inside the fan. then it needs a control signal to tell it how fast to go.

what i need is something brutally simple. i figure i can use a battery and a voltage pot and a resister but i don't know what exactly to do and i don't want to make a bad mistake and blow the blower.

i own a foundry casting bronze aluminum and iron. i would gladly cast something in trade for a bit of bench electronics.

thanks for the help folks!
    regards
    Guss

2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Looking at the info you control the speed with an isolated DC supply 0 to 10V, so yes a battery with a regulator would do.

3. Duane P Wetick

Apr 23, 2009
    Probably the easiest thing for you to do is get a 4-20 ma. test box from Digikey or B&K or Newark. These typically use a 9 v battery or sometimes 2 in series giving 18 volts and a switch that converts 4-20 ma to 0-10 volts. You can get fancy by using a PID Controller that can output a proportional signal according to whatever feedback element is available; ie air flow sensor, thermocouple etc.
    That's probably what you'll end up doing when you get more familiar with your process.

Cheers, DPW [ Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]

4. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Are you sure it only accepts a 2 wire 0-10v? Or does it have 3 terminals, (3rd terminal being +10v) so that you can connect a pot? I'm not familiar with your fan but the majority of devices I have seen that accept a 0-10v signal have this 3rd terminal. If yours does, simply connect it to the input.

5. Guss Bort

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 27, 2013
    hi there
    thanks for the help so far

i think i'm on board with what you all had to say. the trick is that although i know a lot about meting and pouring metal, I'm only vaguely familiar with electronics. i need the solution spelled out. i'm willing to pay for help if need be. i can PayPal for the solution.

@Strantor- the motor has 4 wires(plus one ground wire off to the side), two for 120vac and two for the control 0-10vdc

regards
    Guss

6. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    You want brutally simple, attach a 9v battery to it. Done.

7. Duane P Wetick

Apr 23, 2009
    Guss, rather than play Blind Mans Bluff...I would suggest that you contact Ametek directly, give them your blower's Nameplate data and tell them to send you a basic wiring diagram.
    Now, you can communicate with some knowledge instead of just guessing.

Cheers, DPW [Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]

8. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    Datasheet here (though you may have to register):http://www.ametektip.com/index.php?option=com_catalog&view=models&which=catalogs&id=48
    From that spec sheet:
    "0 to 10 VDC with a speed control input current of 5 mA to 20 mA at 10 VDC Input with multi-turn potentiometer set to minimum resistance ( fully clockwise ). Mechanical: A potentiometer is available for speed control of the blower. The potentiometer can be preset for a specic speed. Access for speed adjustment located in motor housing."

I don't think I would use a battery...except for testing. What would happen when the battery goes dead and drops the blower speed with it?

Ken

Or, here's the PDF attached

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013