Block user including subject lines?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
In the few years I have been a member of this forum I have never felt the need to block a user. There is a new member that I want to block. I am unable to see this users posts but I am able to see the subject lines of the threads the user starts. This user is so obnoxious and childish, I don't even want to see the started threads

Is there any way to block threads started by a user? If not can something be to upgrade forum software to block started threads?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Maybe the mods could have (off-line) words with this user and save us all from such suffering?

Hopefully the user is not me :)
Unfortunately , there are several new users exhibiting childish behavior but there is on in particular that seems to be the ring leader. I have never blocked anyone on this forum in the years that I have been a member and I have blocked 3 in the past month ot so.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I sincerely state that the mod team is constantly trying to uphold the high quality of the site.

The offtopic is a hard beast to tame, though, as its subjects are more loose.

I guarantee the matter will be solved, one way or the other.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I sincerely state that the mod team is constantly trying to uphold the high quality of the site.

If a terms of service exist they should be applied for all who participate. If it is directly violated on purpose, the consequences outlined in the terms of service should come to power immediately.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

I have no doubt. You guys do a "yeoman's job" (fantastic). Offtopic is the one I am concerned about. As you say it is harder to tame and that is understood. That is why I would rather just not see this user's posts at all.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
If you and I are thinking of the same person, he's not all that new here (has over a hundred posts), but is definitely childish and I'm growing tired of his posts. Perhaps we are thinking of two different people.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I think I know who that user is. I have not blocked any user. But I will add this one to may virtual list. It may be hard. But the cure is often to ignore such persons complete. Do not answer any of his/hers postings at all. Then such users loose their audience. They tend to drift away.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
If you and I are thinking of the same person, he's not all that new here (has over a hundred posts), but is definitely childish and I'm growing tired of his posts. Perhaps we are thinking of two different people.
Yes the user in question has been over a few months. The # of posts are inflated. If you look at the quality of posts in the non - off topic forums, many are next to worthless.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Yes the user in question has been over a few months. The # of posts are inflated. If you look at the quality of posts in the non - off topic forums, many are next to worthless.
Reminds me of a member at ETO--joined, and he had over a thousand posts in a couple weeks. Of course, each and every one was utterly useless. He was gone after about a month--not sure if he was banned or just got bored.

But yeah, I think I know who you're talking about.

jaygatsby

Joined Nov 23, 2011
What has to happen to a man's psyche, to make him get to the point of just ignoring everything that bothers him instead of fighting it?

I guess (and hope) I'll never understand.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
What has to happen to a man's psyche, to make him get to the point of just ignoring everything that bothers him instead of fighting it?

I guess (and hope) I'll never understand.
In many cases ignoring offensive or annoying posts is the best course of action. Otherwise you get flaming, which is explicitly prohibited on this forum.

The site admins and the moderators know what they're doing. You just have to trust them on that.

Matt

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
In many cases ignoring offensive or annoying posts is the best course of action. Otherwise you get flaming, which is explicitly prohibited on this forum.

The site admins and the moderators know what they're doing. You just have to trust them on that.

Matt
And the crux of the problem. He doesn't understand.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010

Matt
I agree to ignore is the best option you have. Just because you see it doesn't mean you have to look at it. Consider the source.

And the crux of the problem. He doesn't understand.
That's why you have to be the one to understand (what you just said in the above) It's the reason your going crazy. Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. Just a recommendation stop looking at the Threads or post, just ignore them and move on to someone else's.

When I see a certain kind of post I might want to type a comment.

More often than not, I remember it's just a waist time. I will have no positive effect.

Last edited: