Blinking LEDs

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Haim, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Haim

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    I would like to get a schematic drawing that will cause 10-12 LEDs to blink about every second (the frequency of the blinking isn't important). The circuit should work on a two-volt battery.

I'd appreciate any kind of help.

Thanks.

Haim

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    My first thought is you have to boost the battery voltage, which leads to another issue, current output of the battery. What is the max this battery will provide, or to put it another way, what is the battery?

One thought occurs, there was something called a joule booster that would light a white light LED from a 1½V battery. 2V isn't enough to handle a conventional LED, so something like this might be needed. Then you can find something that can handle that low a voltage for the blinker circuit.

4. HarveyH42

Jul 22, 2007
    I've gotten some amber LEDs out of garden lights, that will light dimly at 1.7 volts, fairly bright at 2 volts. Normally run off to rechargeable AAs. A flashing circuit would likely use too much.

The Joule Thief is won't do more then 2 LEDs, well maybe three... But definitely no where near 10. With a diode and a capacitor, I've ran an ATtiny13 MCU, and 5 LEDs, flashing, but not all on at one time. Also RGB fader works, but the blue is a little weak.

Not sure, but might have some Amber, with the built in flasher, but think you need about 2.5-3 volts minimum for red. The self flashing ones don't flash at the same rate either. Ten in parallel, will seem to flash randomly...

5. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    The Joule Thief is designed for continuous lighting of an LED. However, I don't see why the basic circuit couldn't be used as a boost converter to supply a flasher circuit. It certainly won't be very efficient, but it would be simple.

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    If you can find older generation LEDs they take less voltage, with the trade off is they are dimmer than newer generations.

Another possibility is self blinking LEDs after a voltage booster.

One question though, do you want them to blink together or separately?