Blinking Eye Model

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by CJW0005, Apr 26, 2012.

1. CJW0005

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 26, 2012
    I need to make a blinking model of the eye for an experiment. All I need to get the blinking motion right. The model of the eye is stationary but the upper eyelid needs to move up and down at a fixed interval.

The first prototype uses a gearbox to make the eyelid move up and down but it is not ideal as it is slow and continuous. What I want is to use something like a linear actuator to make the eyelid blink relatively quickly and immediately retract, pause for 10/15 seconds, blink, pause 10 seconds, and repeat ad infinitum. Is this possible?

I am looking for a timer/resistor/controller/anything capable of programming the timing, the best way to automatically reverse the linear actuator, and the best type of motor/gear box/anything to use.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Edit: I need the eye to test contact lenses on and will have tear fluid dispensed under the eye lid. The eye is a hollow sphere we will have warm water in. I need the mechanism to produce the blink that I can adjust to custom parts.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I just took a Furby apart the other day. If these were before your time, look 'em up. Big blinking eyes. (And a lot of other functions.)

3. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    How about a car door lock solenoid, switched by a MOSFET, triggered by a comparator fed by a RC time circuit?

4. russpatterson

Feb 1, 2010
    I'd agree with the solenoid/MOSFET approach, and some kind of spring to pull the eye-lid back immediately after the blink. So some mechanical setup that would let the solenoid do it's then then be out of the way for the spring. A cam or something.

I would use a microcontroller instead of RC time circuits. PICAXE or Arduino would be the easiest route in the the uC's

5. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
  6. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    From the top of my head. I would have use some kind of electromagnet with a spring. to pull it back. Do you have some pictures to show us. Showing your current setting