Black Holes

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Right now the discovery of white hole is very recent. So it can not be found by searching for "white hole" or by surfing net. I myself was referred to the site where i found cites about white hole.
The concept of white holes have been around for some time if Hawkings is talking about them back in the 70s. Unless the original definitions/concepts are now changing in light of new discoveries?

Dave

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Typing "white hole" and "astronomy" and the term "-Humphreys" on the same line in Google's page results in thousands of hits. The first three pages worth seem to be quite on-topic.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
And i have another question in mind. Everyone says that law of conservation of mass is approximately right. Can i know where and why is it applied?
The idea of it being "approximately right" comes from the fact that it only applies in classical physics. Whenever there is a closed system - independent from the external environment - then as a law it will always be applicable. Akin to the conservation of energy, matter cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another - chemical reactions in closed systems are an example, where molecules can be transferred from one type to another but the sum of the atoms remains the same - hence the conservation of mass.

Dave

wes

Joined Aug 24, 2007
well supposdly hawking radiation is the anwser in that because of the uncertainty principle mass can be created from the energy in the vacuum because even the vacuum hass energy and when this happens a particle-antiparticle pair is created and normaly they annailate each other almost instantly and the energy returns to the vacuum. But if this happens close enough to a blackhole then one could get sucked in and the other escape, so these once virtual particle's become real or only one really, the other is sucked into oblivion, and so there is now a net energy loss to the vacuum and so that energy is taken from the blackhole as eithier it's spin or mass and so the blackhole loses this energy becoming slower or less massive and so over a really really really long time the blackhole will eventually evaporate from this hawkingradiation in a big gamma ray burst. Of course that's if it exist's . now the thing i find scary is in the new particle accelerator, the LHC is that if it really does create a mini blackhole and hawking radiation doesn't exist then we are all SCREWED, although we do have some nice photos that supposdly show hawking radiation be emmited from a blackhole and so that is are only REAL proof of it from what i know so far

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Something else to consider, we (being humanity) believe we see several different types of black holes out there by their effects on neighboring mass. The only observed example of a white hole I have heard of is the universe itself, aka the Big Bang.