BJT-like transistor symbol - unknown meaning?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by sbixby, Jul 11, 2012.

1. sbixby

Thread Starter Active Member

May 8, 2010
    Attached is a snip from a Texas Instruments datasheet for the 74*04 hex inverter chip.

There are three types represented in the datasheet - 7404, 74LS04, 74S04; the original TTL circuit uses the standard BJT transistor symbol, but the other two use a symbol (attached) that I can't seem to find.

What is it??

-------
    By way of explanation, I am working through the AAC book (V4, C3, S2) about "The NOT Gate" and mocking it up in a simulator for sake of understanding the operation of the circuit. (I'm still fuzzy on BJTs, so I like to work through the gate circuits at this level to help strengthen my understanding.) Since the AAC page doesn't show values for the resistors, I though I'd borrow one of the datasheets' values for my simulation.

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    sbixby likes this.
  3. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    The "S" in the part numbers stands for Schottky. The p-n junctions are implemented with Schottky barriers that have a lower forward voltage drop.

sbixby likes this.
  4. sbixby

Thread Starter Active Member

May 8, 2010
    So, then, a related question - is a "Schottky transistor" a discrete part that I could look up for operating curves? I'm not finding one offhand.

5. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    If you look at my reference you will see that is not quite correct. ;) A Schottky transistor is a standard junction transistor with a Schottky diode between the base and collection to limit saturation of the transistor and minimize saturation delay.

6. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    No, it is not a discrete part you can buy. You can emulate one by placing a small Schottky diode between the base and collector of a small switching-type BJT as shown in the reference.

7. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Ah..yes right you are. It is something that is easy to fabricate on a chip however.