BJT h-parameter gain problem

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Stereoblind, May 6, 2015.

1. Stereoblind

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 10, 2015
    Hey guys,

I've currently been trying to work on this question and establish the voltage/current gain of my h-parameter model. I get the correct answer for the current gain but can't get the proof right for my voltage gain. I've tried it a couple of ways and the way I've attached here seems to be the closest I can get. Can anyone see where I've gone wrong? Thanks.

2. Stereoblind

Mar 10, 2015
    Ahhhh I see what I have done I used the wrong output voltage value in the first stage. Stupid mistake.

3. The Electrician

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 9, 2007
    Do you get the result that Gv is gm*RL/2? That seems a little strange. Is gm the transconductance of a single transistor?

4. Jony130

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 17, 2009
    Why? As I remember correctly the voltage gain for long tail pair is two times smaller than the CE amp voltage gain.
    CE gain is gm*Rc so for LTP the gain must be equal to (gm*Rc)/2. Where gm is transconductance of a single transistor.

5. Stereoblind

Mar 10, 2015
    Sorry I realised I didn't upload the circuit diagram. Yeah I managed to get it equal to gm*RL/2. I've attached a picture of how I achieved that :). Yeah that's the transconductance of a single transistor.

6. Stereoblind

Mar 10, 2015
    Also I apologise because I think my initial diagram is a bit poorly labelled! Also RE >> hie/hfe so we assumed all the current has gone into hie/hfe :)

7. The Electrician

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 9, 2007
    This problem has an unusual mix of H parameters and Y parameters. The student is asked to consider characteristics of the individual transistors, and also the overall amplifier. I thought that the parameter gm was referring to the overall amplifier treated as a two-port, but I wasn't sure.