Biscuits and gravy

Have you ever eaten a real souvlaki? :cool:

I have, I have!! Mmmmmm tasty!! The carrier would pull into Athens, the civilian boats would race from the piers out to fetch us, cold beer and souvlaki’s everywhere!

I learned to eat angle-hair type spaghetti noodles on salad lettuce in Rhodes, I still fix it that way to this day!

Wouldn’t happen to have the souvlaki recipe (1974-era) lying around would you? Not that fancy restaurant recipe either, the souvlaki as served on the piers! Mmmmmm tasty!!

:) joe

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Have you ever eaten a real souvlaki? :cool:
Tried it in Crete, along with a bunch of other stuff I'll never remember. I tried to try it all, but tried too much and now I can't remember any of it. I just remember a huge variety of pasta-like stuff, most popular meat was lamb and I didn't like mythos beer.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
All flour gravy is a little grease, flour, and milk. Regular beef gravy is a lot thinner, basically the beef drippings from a roast and a little flour.

You've never had those Geo?

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
What about red eyed gravy,made with ham dripping and coffee.
Also ( fat back ) Its the fat of bacon without with out the strip
of meat in the bacon. They call It some thing else now,they put
it in green beans for flavor.
@ Bill ,Meshack's Bar B Que,named as famous place in gun and food magizine.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
mmm... just had biscuits and gravy for dinner, fantastic :)
used equal parts of flour and butter over low heat to create a rue, then added milk and let it thicken, added sausage we had just fried, put it over Pillsbury biscuits, OM NOM :D

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
In our house growing up in Noo Yawk Mom's gravy was always made from the meat drippings in the pan. Turkey was the best, but had some others too. She kept a coffee can full of bacon fat for cooking too. When I moved out I kept that coffee can of bacon fat too until I realized I never used it so I stopped keeping it.

My wife is an Ohio transplant and it was she who taught me the wonders of biscuits and gravy: we just never put the two together, never for breakfast, biscuits were for special dinner occasions only. Now I revel in biscuits and gravy, especially when combined with chicken fried steak (FYI: it has no chicken), just not every day.

I am still unsure just what a "grit" is.

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
In some Italian parts of New York, "gravy" refers to what the rest of us call "tomato sauce." :eek:

So I guess 'gravy' is that tasty semi-liquid that is eaten using a support of breadstuffs, pastas, meats, etc. :p

"I am still unsure just what a 'grit' is."
It's like sausage: you do NOT want to know how it's made! Actually, if I recollect correct, it's corn that gets soaked in lye until the shell is eaten off. It then gets rinsed, and eaten. I see grits as another support for gravy! Or butter, or cheese, or...

--Rich

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
mmm... just had biscuits and gravy for dinner, fantastic :)
used equal parts of flour and butter over low heat to create a rue, then added milk and let it thicken, added sausage we had just fried, put it over Pillsbury biscuits, OM NOM :D
You surprise me magnet18 -- you know what a roux is. I didn't know until I was 40 or 50... :p

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Now I revel in biscuits and gravy, especially when combined with chicken fried steak
Oh, jeez, you're making me hungry -- that's another favorite of mine. My wife found some cheap steak that had been punctured to be tenderized and made some the other day with her biscuit gravy. It's so good... And, for some reason, it has to be made with that cheap steak!

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Oh, jeez, you're making me hungry -- that's another favorite of mine. My wife found some cheap steak that had been punctured to be tenderized and made some the other day with her biscuit gravy. It's so good... And, for some reason, it has to be made with that cheap steak!
AFAIK the recipe was created as a way to make cheap tough meat more palatable. Saw that on the Food Channel (my wife watches food shows all the time).

It would be a sin to chicken fry a porterhouse or a nice T bone. I surprised my wife (in the good way) when I started using something called "lemon pepper" on steaks I grilled, it is a simple but fantastic seasoning.

Lately all the Target stores by me have added a large food section. They have some very good prices on some very nice cuts of meat. And some days they knock 20-25% off the price.

Dems GOOD eats!

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
The before-mentioned granddaughter spent the night again -- and, guess what? She wanted biscuits and gravy again, so we got it for a late breakfast/lunch. Good as usual.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Am I the only one to have red eye gravy.
I think I had it once on a visit to Georgia 22 years ago (I remember the time exactly because my wife was pregnant with our youngest daughter) because I think I remember it on the menu and wondering what it was. I honestly can't remember what it tasted like. Is it good? :p

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
You surprise me magnet18 -- you know what a roux is. I didn't know until I was 40 or 50... :p
Ha, I thought I was spelling it wrong :p
I pay attention to the important things, and gravy is important :D
(and I watch food network... lots of food network... and now I'm hungry again...:rolleyes:)