Biscuits and gravy

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
One of my granddaughters spent the night with us and it's pleasing to see her adopting the traditions. My wife's mother grew up in the southern US (Georgia) and gave her kids a liking for biscuits and gravy. I've always taught this particular granddaughter to go to her grandmother and ask her for biscuits and gravy (of course, my wife is smart enough to figure out where the request comes from -- especially after the granddaughter squeals on me :p). This morning she asked my wife for biscuits and gravy without prompting, so now I know the tradition will be passed on to her kids.

My wife buys the inexpensive powdered white gravy mix and makes the gravy from that (she makes a good gravy using flour too; the package mix is just a lot quicker). She mixes in the cooked bacon bits from a package. She makes the biscuits with a package mix like Bisquick. Nothing fancy -- just makes an enjoyable meal.

I love sausage gravy, but since my wife doesn't like sausage, we don't have it. Instead, she'll occasionally get me some hot Italian turkey sausage and cook a couple of those up for me. Those make the best biscuits and gravy! Of course, it's mostly a meal of carbs, so if you're watching your weight or you're a diabetic, tread carefully.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Where I come from gravy is usually a brown sauce taken with meat, Traditionally this was made with thickened meat stock, but nowadays would often be prepared from a commercial mix. A white sauce would not usually be referred to as gravy.

I have never heard of eating biscuits with "gravy": is this a sweet or a savoury dish?

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Gravy in the western US where I grew up is pretty much any meat or vegetable stock or drippings thickened with flour. When I was growing up, my mom made little pearl onions in a white gravy and I loved it. She died before I got the recipe from her, but I figured out an easy way to make it: just thicken some milk with cornstarch and add any flavorings like salt, pepper, bouillon, etc. Add curry powder and red pepper and you've got a wonderful curry sauce for vegetables or meat.

Our favorite at our house is my wife's turkey gravy. After the turkey is cooked, she browns some flour and adds the turkey drippings (she uses a fat separator container to get rid of the fat). Let it thicken and put it on the table -- then step back to get out of the fist fights... :p

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Funny you should mention that. I was craving them myself, and went to a restaurant that had them yesterday.

My mom did teach me her recipe, it is very simple. We cook link sausage, then add flour to the drippings (two full handful fists, I'll rant about my mom's measurement system some other time). Actually you drain off the grease, throw the flour in, then add just enough drippings to soak the flour. Brown (not burn) the flour paste. Then add milk, cook over medium heat. If it starts to get too think add more milk. If the dog gets some extra thick gravy to make room for more milk he won't mind. When the mixture comes to a low boil cook for another 5 minutes.

Nice picture, it is what I like.

My mom used to feed us plain gravy over bread when my Dad wasn't around. We loved it. Then my Dad saw it, and said something to the effect "you're having chipped beef over toast and didn't invite me?". It appears Bostonians like hamburger in theirs along with toast. It became a staple for every one until my folks died. I miss it, but am too lazy to cook it.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
My mom used to feed us plain gravy over bread when my Dad wasn't around.
That image brings back good memories. My dad had a business in Oakland, CA and I used to work for him in summers when I was a kid (I did this for 10-12 years until I was around 21 or so). He'd take me to a specific restaurant that he liked to go to in Oakland (he grew up in Oakland) and I'd often get a hot turkey sandwich and a chocolate milkshake. A favorite part of the meal was the hot gravy over the bread.

As soon as I hit high school (and through college), working for him during the summer became mandatory (I learned some good work habits). We'd get to work around 9 in the morning and come home at 6 or 6:30 (there was a half hour commute). We worked six days a week and got Wednesdays off. While some of my friends had the summer off (and of course I envied them), I got some benefits from this hard work later on. Fortunately, I was able to tell my dad thanks for the good habits he gave me before he died in 1980.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Yesterday I has sauage gravy over grits,I had all the bacon I could eat
and french toast.I had left over bacon strips on I did some thing different.
I dipped the bacon in maple syrup while holding the bacon in my fingers.
When you enjoy your food,who cares about manners. It taste good try it.
From Georacers,post remember we learn somethig new going to off topic.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I dipped the bacon in maple syrup while holding the bacon in my fingers.
I figured that one out when I was a little kid and never have forgotten it -- it's really good. I grew up in California and we had Log Cabin syrup. Remember the little metal tins with the caps like you used to see on turpentine etc. cans? You'd pop them up and down to seal them. I also loved Cream of Wheat cereal and that was good with the syrup too. Of course, now that I'm a geezer, that stuff's way too sweet for my tastes, so I don't eat it anymore. I can't even remember the last time I had strips of bacon, though I love them. My kids and grandkids know that I'm a reasonably trustworthy adult, but all bets are off around bacon -- I have no scruples at all and used to talk my youngest daughter out of hers, with absolutely no shame.

Interestingly, I tracked down my birth family (I'm adopted) a little over 20 years ago and found a brother I've become incredibly close to. He was raised completely independently of me, but he has the identical bacon morals. Must be genetic... :p

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Must genetic,How I say I do all the right things to do and then throw some
rules out. I live a life that I listen to the music,I do things better with music
even if some times i just hear the music in my head. I Have place In my heart
for all the guys because off topic is important to me. Its like family.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Short Burst ,No voices,I am the commander of the mental capacity of my mind.
Calm and soothing music that make me do great things.Some day you will look in
a glass coffin and say,I know that guy I can hear the music now.Aterward we can
have buscuits and gravy. I can see the future,you can't,I am living in the present.
Loosewire

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Have you ever eaten a real souvlaki?
Probably not. I've had it in NYC, Ann Arbor MI, and Arlington, TX. The closest I've gotten to the birthplace of democracy is Brindisi, Italy. I visited that town when I was stationed in the Calabria Region of Italy, near a town of Catanzaro Lido.