Birthday prezzies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sparky49, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Sparky49

Thread Starter Active Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Hi all.

Had my 18th birthday on Sunday! Finally, I drink, drive (not at the same time!), buy glue, knives - anything I want! Horray! :)

As some in family wanted to get me books, but don't know much about electronics, they got me some Amazon vouchers, which I spent very quickly! Got myself some interesting looking books, some of which arrived today.

Introduction to the Wireless Local Loop
    Digital Technqiues in Broadcasting Transmission
    HF Antenna Collection

And I'm still waiting on Radiowave Propogation and Antennas for Personal Communications.

I reckon those will keep me interested for some time. :D I like the theory behind electronics, just as much as I like doing electronics. There are few better feelings than watching an equation fall out nicely. ;)

Anyway, what do you guys like to get for birthdays? Would you be happy to get something electronics related, or would you rather not as you are doing it in full time education or as your job?

Sparky

2. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Happy birthday, Sparky! Best wishes for an exciting and interesting adulthood!

Presents are a bit of a pain to choose. My hobbies tend to be a bit expensive or very specific for my family, so I can't ask them. It would be a pain to explain to them how to order an AVR2 programmer kit and it would ruin the surprise too.
    I let them buy clothes or mementos. My mother has especially good taste in clothes, so I don't complain.

Sparky49 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I've wondered about this knife ban in UK. I was skinning wires when I was 11 years old. I still carry a knife at all times. The blade is about 30mm. Would that be legal for an 11 year old in UK?

And then I'd like to say I think that law is a bit much. Just as people use knives when they can't get a gun, they can use a brick when they can't get a knife...except you can't skin a wire with a brick.

4. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    Let's not get caught up in this again...:rolleyes:

But, I don't think it's illegal for a kid to have a knife - just illegal for them to buy one.

I'm also pretty sure no-one is allowed to just carry it around either.

But, let's think happy! Birthday prezzies!:D

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Sorry. This knife subject might be worn out, but it's a mystery to me.

So...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Sparky49 likes this.
  6. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    What? I carry a knife on my key chain everywhere I go.
    It's a Leatherman Micra that has:

knife blade
    scissors
    tweezers
    nail file
    flat head screwdriver
    flat phillips screwdriver
    small screwdriver
    bottle opener
    measuring scale

[​IMG]

Get one for your birthday.

Happy Birthday, Sparks.

Sparky49 likes this.
  7. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Happy birthday, MAN.

Sparky49 likes this.
  8. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    Thanks guys. :)

I also got a braw Tweed kilt jacket!

I also got a cool notebook which is made from recycled circuit boards! It's great to draw some circuit ideas I have!

I'll post some ideas later and see what you guys think. Nothing too exciting. The best one is probably an Antenna Tuner Circuit.

9. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    https://www.gov.uk/find-out-if-i-can-buy-or-carry-a-knife
    It's a bit draconian, basically if the police find a knife on you, you need a good reason. If you are an 11 year old on a camping trip, I would guess it's fine. I carry a small one in my bike bag with my other bike tools, comes in handy for emergency repairs and I don't think the police would have any problem with that either.

Sparky49 likes this.
  10. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Loosewire's Wisdom.....a screw driver or knife is a burglars tool if found in a

hotel hallway .No matter the size,unless minature,that would also be a

question for police. Proving intent on both sides, with a $10,000.00

attorney fee to fight a charge once filed.

On a camping trip,unless you are at a camping ground with many people

should not be problem. If there is more than 10 people and some one could see's

a knife out in the open... with any words, could be a problem.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
    Sparky49 likes this.
  11. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Geeze, stop talking about knives and burglary tools. Let's get back to presents!

I really like geeky things. A good dev board or breakout is wonderful! Just ask me and I'll tell you the exact model number and source to get it.

This year for Christmas people kept asking me what I wanted. I really need some parts bins (got lots of bags of parts to sort & store) but I got yelled at that it was not a good gift! Neither was the 32 AWG spools of wire I wanted off EBay.

Shucks, we get my sister yarn for her knitting habit. Isn't wire the same thing?

Happy Birthday Sparky!!!

Sparky49 likes this.
  12. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    For my 18th birthday, I got in a fight with my dad and kicked out. Coincidence, he didn't even realize it was my birthday. Not a sob story, I deserved it.

Sparky49 likes this.
  13. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Hello Sparky, happy birthday!

I've gotten to the point where I try to avoid birthdays. They cause me nothing but annoyance and strife :p I stopped getting interesting presents from others when I was about 18. After that I was pretty much on my own. I've received a few nice items since from family, but they're generally few and far between. I would have given anything to have received a dev board, components, electronics kit, wire/solder/iron, etc when I was your age!

It's a big milestone in any young man's life. It's a lot of freedom, but remember that with it comes responsibility. Use these new freedoms wisely, and you will have a long, happy, exciting life ahead of you!

Best wishes,
    Matt

Sparky49 likes this.
  14. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Happy Birthday Sparky

Sparky49 likes this.
  15. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    OOPS late again, Happy Birthday :D

Sparky49 likes this.
  16. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Happy Birthday, Sparky...now you are a man among some great men.

Sparky49 likes this.
  17. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Damn I had a BA leatherman I got from the factory driving up to NC. Someone stole it at work though. I wasn't that mad till I saw how much it was gonna cost to replace it.

Sparky49 likes this.
  18. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Yeah I think brand name laethermen are too expensive. Some of the clones are decent quality and a fraction of the price, and some are just garbage.

And Happy Birthday Sparky! :)

Sparky49 likes this.
  19. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    Thanks guys!

All my books have now arrived! Should last me until new year. :)

One of them comes with - a - floppy disk! omg! For MathCAD 2.5 - so I downloaded DOSbox and MathCAD 2.5 and it now kinda works. ;)

Just need to get a usb floppy drive.

I've got a few floppy drives, but none are usb, so ah well.

Anyway, if you are looking for a book on a subject, check out ebay or amazon - there are always some real bargains.

Sparky

20. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Happy Birthday, Sparky

Sparky49 likes this.