Bipolar stepper motor IC?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by reventropy2003, May 24, 2011.

1. reventropy2003

Thread Starter New Member

May 23, 2011
    I have been looking for a while for an IC I could use to drive two stepper motors. I will be using them to rotate a telescope mount for the purpose of Astrophotography. The motors I am using are geared quite high so I'm not worried about microstepping. They are rated at 6 volts/1.5 amps per cycle. I will not need full torque so current output of less than 1 amp is acceptable. The biggest problem I have is that I am using an unregulated 12 volt battery as the power source (it needs to be portable) and I don't want to use a power resistor. So..

I need (preferably a DIP) full bridge driver with PWM current regulation that will operate with a voltage input of 12 volts, and a load output minimum of less than 7 volts. Maximum current output could be less than 1 amp. I have looked at all the Allegra chips and none of them seem to meet all the criteria. I was using a SN754410 with my bench supply but I don't know how I'll regulate the current coming from the battery without wasting a lot of power. Maybe there's a separate current chopper chip I could use in conjunction with the 754410?

Any suggestions would be great!

2. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009

Go here & check post #6

For ur purpose u have to check their website, as I currently dunno any chip with DIP package
  3. reventropy2003

Thread Starter New Member

May 23, 2011
    Thank you sir!

I just went ahead and ordered a few of these from digikey. Everything seems to be in spec, so I'll give them a shot. I don't "need" a DIP package, but rather just something I can prototype without ordering a custom PCB. I think this package will do.

Thanks again!
  4. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    Make certain to read the attached before using that IC. They are good IC's, but you can destroy them in an instant unless you follow all of the design considerations in the attached PDF.