Biploar source from unipolar supply

beamcircuit

Joined Apr 23, 2008
All:

I have been wondering how to do this for a while. I continually have the need to make circuits which require tunable bipolar rails, but we only have single-output floating supplies. I need a good way to do this. Voltage dividers are quick and easy, but only when I'm dealing with reference voltages and not sinking current into the load.

What other options are there? I've used Vbe multipliers to get larger voltages, but then I have no ground reference.

At the moment, I am trying to drive a push-pull voltage amplifier and I need to be able to use a single floating uniploar supply to power the bipolar rails. Any ideas? I was just going to do a quick and dirty voltage rail, but I need something that doesn't require all of my available 50W [I need +/-24V rails @ 1A]. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated and will be thanked with beer.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
All:

I have been wondering how to do this for a while. I continually have the need to make circuits which require tunable bipolar rails, but we only have single-output floating supplies. I need a good way to do this. Voltage dividers are quick and easy, but only when I'm dealing with reference voltages and not sinking current into the load.

What other options are there? I've used Vbe multipliers to get larger voltages, but then I have no ground reference.

At the moment, I am trying to drive a push-pull voltage amplifier and I need to be able to use a single floating uniploar supply to power the bipolar rails. Any ideas? I was just going to do a quick and dirty voltage rail, but I need something that doesn't require all of my available 50W [I need +/-24V rails @ 1A]. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated and will be thanked with beer.
To drive a push-pull amplifier you need a bipolar supply.

beamcircuit

Joined Apr 23, 2008
Budweiser it is.

It looks as if it will work. I'll run +24-48V input to the source rails, and get the +/-12-24V out.=, referenced to system ground.