biometrics

afolabi

Joined Apr 26, 2015
Hello. Please I'm considering Biometric access control system based on fingerprint scanning and recognition for authentication as my final year project in a university.
I need to improve on the project so it won't be a copy and paste thing.
I thought about designing the one that could be interfaced with computer but I need more than that to convince my supervisor who has earlier rejected 5 different topics before. Please help me ASAP

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Five rejects and your supervisor hasn't given you any advice?

Maybe if you switched from looking at fingerprints to reading the pattern of veins on the back of an individual's hands you would have a project that was not just copy and paste.

John

afolabi

Joined Apr 26, 2015
That wasn't helpful sir.
Please if you have information you can share ignore my ineptitude for now.
What I really planned to work on before was "Analysis of quality of service of GSM networks in Nigeria" he claimed the topic is too broad for a degree program and bla bla bla. This one is just a last minute resolve. I'll meet him in 2 hours time. So please help me if you can

Maybe if you switched from looking at fingerprints to reading the pattern of veins on the back of an individual's hands you would have a project that was not just copy and paste.

John
That wasnt

Last edited by a moderator:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
From Wikipedia:

upload_2015-5-7_10-28-58.png

You have yet to state a question that can be answered.

The title of your thread implied that you needed a project on biometrics. You gave no clue as to what other 5 projects you had suggested and why they were rejected. I think asking for that information is fair play and provides good background information for moving forward to help you.

Since you indicated that fingerprint reading might be considered by your professor as too easy, I suggested another avenue for person identification that is used, but is not nearly as well established. Good luck.

John

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
That wasn't helpful sir.
Please if you have information you can share ignore my ineptitude for now.
What I really planned to work on before was "Analysis of quality of service of GSM networks in Nigeria" he claimed the topic is too broad for a degree program and bla bla bla. This one is just a last minute resolve. I'll meet him in 2 hours time. So please help me if you can

That wasnt
What John suggested was a very valid proposal... shine a strong light through a person's finger or hand and try to match it to a registered vein pattern.
That sort of project would not be cut-and-paste and would indeed be a very good challenge for anyone, even for an expert.
You could also add something else to the project to differentiate it, like measuring skin color, or checking for a pulse to make sure that the hand is not fake, etc...

afolabi

Joined Apr 26, 2015
jpanhaltcomment. I mentioned that he believed "quality of service ....." Was too broad a topic to consider. He rejected electronic voting device without any concrete reason. He said solar charger is available everywhere But he seems to like biometric related topic. I intend to present fingerprint access control system to him in less than 30 minutes now. I'm just asking if there any modifications I can introduce to the project from more experienced people here. 856421 said:
From Wikipedia:

View attachment 85338

You have yet to state a question that can be answered.

The title of your thread implied that you needed a project on biometrics. You gave no clue as to what other 5 projects you had suggested and why they were rejected. I think asking for that information is fair play and provides good background information for moving forward to help you.

Since you indicated that fingerprint reading might be considered by your professor as too easy, I suggested another avenue for person identification that is used, but is not nearly as well established. Good luck.

John
Thanks for your comment

afolabi

Joined Apr 26, 2015
[QUOTolabi, post: 856444, member: 265794"]Thanks for your comment[/QUOTE]
What can i add to the project to make it sort of unique.
The gaol of the project is to use fingerprint scanner to authenticate student before they are allowed to write exams. Automatic door is not part of the peoject .
Thanks for taking time to read my post
Thanks for your comment

afolabi

Joined Apr 26, 2015
My lecturer has finally approved "design and construction of GSM phone wireless charger "
I was wrong to think he might like biometrics.
I have started a research on the topics, any suggestion on the materials that will help me will be highly appreciated.
I can't thank you all enough for making it worth a while to to read my thread.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B General Electronics Chat 5