Binary number confusing me.

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by pfelectronicstech, Aug 7, 2012.

1. pfelectronicstech

Thread Starter Member

Jan 18, 2012
    I'm onto binary numbers, and conversion, and I'm getting a bit lost here. It seems so simple because its just "ones and zeros" but it still is confusing. Any advice on learning binary conversion? Thanks for the help again guys.

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    There are 10 kinds of people...those that understand binary and those that don't.

Sorry. Just had to do an old joke. :rolleyes:

4. pfelectronicstech

Thread Starter Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Thanks guys, I was having more trouble with conversion but I found an AWESOME You tube video that explained so it was easy, very easy to understand.

5. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Could you provide a link to that video?

I've put together a fair amount of material, including efficient ways to due number base conversion both by hand and by computer-targetted algorithms. I also cover integer, signed, fixed point, and floating power representations.

The Dr. Agon Binary Representations Page

6. pfelectronicstech

Thread Starter Member

Jan 18, 2012
  7. Bogdann

Jul 31, 2012
    After you get to know how things work try designing simple circuits that will convert from BCD to Gray etc.. with coders/decoders or whatever you want to use.

pfelectronicstech likes this.
  8. pfelectronicstech

Thread Starter Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Thanks Bogdann Let me ask this, because this subject has always fascinated me. I am a BIG home theater guy, have some expensive equipment. The home theater receiver decodes the Dolby Digital sound. Now i'm new to all this but is does something like that use the binary system? Dolby digital is encoded with a binary system, sends out the code, and the receiver decodes it, turning on the Dolby Digital microchip? Am in the the ballpark or WAY off? Always a subject I have been interested in, and fascinated in understanding? Thanks for any info.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Yeah but, that's like saying, "My tricycle has wheels. The Mars explorer has wheels. Are they using the same method?"

Well...yeah...kinda.

pfelectronicstech likes this.
  10. pfelectronicstech

Thread Starter Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Well I'm new to this, so i'm glad I was in the ballpark. I'll try and find out how Dolby digital really works, and now we have Dolby TrueHD which is identical to the sound in the movie theater. Very high bit rate.

11. Austin Clark

Dec 28, 2011
    Now that you understand binary as a number-base, it seems like you may be interested in how binary is used to encode actual data, like sound or images. This, and maybe even into a bit of information theory (you can really take things far). Basically, both sides agree on a way to organize and interpret the bits. For an image you might say that the first 8 bits are to encode the width, the next 8 bits to encode the height, and each bit after that starting from the bottom left and working right and then up indicates if the pixels are to be either black (0) or white (1). That's the basic idea. Look into Pulse-Code Modulation and .wav files to better understand how music/sound is encoded digitally :)

12. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    If you are interested in how a couple of real formats (BMP and WAV) are laid out, you might look at:

BMP File Format

WAV File Format

Before I had to move by pages off the UCCS server (they imposed a size limit and I was nearly ten times that and they had looked the other way for several years), if you Googled "BMP file format" mine came up usually in the first five.

pfelectronicstech and djsfantasi like this.
  13. pfelectronicstech

Thread Starter Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Sorry I've been busy studying, thank you for the links. I appreciate that very much as usual.
    I have been looking into degrees after my ET course is up. I found an interesting course I want to take. Its an AAS program, Electrical-mechanical systems and maintenance. The school will accept my 18 credits from the ET course, plus they accept other certifications as credits. I have 5 OSHA courses I took, in all about 50 hours of OSHA courses. I think they will accept them, and that will knock off time, and money towards completion. The school is a state school too, regionally accredited. If everything goes right and transfers this is the program for me. Thanks again for the help.