Bifilar coil question

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Google "Litz wire".

I doubt this is the solution to the "quest". This technique is a method to mitigate the problem of unwanted skin effect resistance in conductors carrying AC current.

Wes - I feel this is going to be a frustrating search for you. If anyone knew the alternative ["holy grail"] answer to your problem they probably wouldn't share it anyway, as it would possibly have some (commercial ??) value as a patentable device.

Last edited:

wes

Joined Aug 24, 2007
True they probably wouldn't just share it openly, lol. That won't stop me from looking though, until I find out it is either just not possible or insanely complicated.

wes

Joined Aug 24, 2007
I was thinking about inductors (electromagnets) and it seems to me that the issue in getting the same magnetic flux as a large inductor but having the inductance of a smaller inductor is that each wire induces voltages into every other wire, they are magnetically linked like a transformer. It would seem then that the key is to stop the wires from inducing voltages in every other wire but still every wires magnetic field add to the overall magnetic flux.

Is this even possible?

wes

Joined Aug 24, 2007
Yea, it probably is time to move on to something else but until I find out if it can be done or not, I won't stop looking or trying to to figure how. Even if I started on some other project, I would always have this in the back of my mind until I know it either can't be done or how it can be done. I'm trying to get better at math too, so I can actually do some of the equations, lol.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
OK - one final comment from me re post #43.

To reduce inter-turn couplling one would simply move the winding loops further apart. Think of a Slinky as a model inductor. With a constant current flowing in the winding I push the loops closer and the inductance increases. The inductance is defined by the flux linkages per amp of current flow. I then pull the loops further apart and the inductance decreases. Therin lies the problem of your concept of reducing the effective linked flux - the consequence is a reduction in inductance. Not what you wanted.