Bicycle computer pickup question

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by wayneh, Sep 30, 2010.

1. wayneh

Thread Starter Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I think most bicycle computers use a magnet moving past a reed switch to detect revolutions. Is this right, or do some use the magnetic pulse (zero cross?). To get to the point: How might I supply a an alternative signal to the cycling computer's input that it will recognize?

If I can get that to work, it'd be a very inexpensive data acquisition logging device that is also small and portable.

2. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    I've got 2 cheap cycle computers and they both use reed switches - you can hear them if you put a magnet near them.
    A mosfet could replace the switch and maybe work.

3. wayneh

Thread Starter Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Maybe. There must be some polarity to the two contacts, and a tiny current flowing when the reed switch closes. Supplying a square wave thru a high ohms resistor might fool it, if I can figure out which side is "ground". I'll see if I can read anything on the DVM.

4. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    An opto-isolator might do it too. Would it be an advantage to separate the computer and driver electronics?

5. wayneh

Thread Starter Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Separation would alleviate my main concern about experimenting - inadvertently zapping my cycling computer. I believe I've got an old opto-isolator in my parts drawer, so I'll take a look at the datasheet.