Biasing a Class AB with a transistor

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by bennyq, Apr 14, 2015.

1. bennyq

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Hi, Im trying to design a Class AB power gain stage with the following circuit. Im having trouble with achieving a load of 8ohms(5vpp).. I would like the transistor to bias the current gain stage as I would eventually like to place a darlington pair package that has a VBE on of 1V.. Can I achieve that with this circuit? Or should I consider trying to use diodes..

• ab.png
      ab.png
      File size:
      7.9 KB
      Views:
  2. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    That circuit is a mess.

That is not how a transistor bias works.

Google a transistor bias and post a reasonable result. We can work from there. Your circuit is not a reasonable starting point for a discussion.

Start near the bottom of this one
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_transistor_biasing

3. bennyq

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Well this is my initial design, I'd want 1v preferably at the bases for turn on so voltage, 0.7V is a bit low. Is this design better?

• ab2.png
      ab2.png
      File size:
      12.8 KB
      Views:
  4. JDT

Feb 12, 2009
    Your second circuit is a simpler way (and not so good) of controlling the quiescent current in the output transistors. There are a few other things wrong as well but I will leave that for now!

Take your drive capacitor to the junction of D2 and base of Q2. Use another 100uF capacitor to bypass the 2 series diodes. Will work but won't produce full output swing as the transistors run out of drive current as the voltage across the 1K resistors gets low.