Best wire gauge for prototyping

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
Try to find the kits of prestripped and bent jumper wires intended for protoboards.

If you do it all yourself which is not that rough, make certain you remember that stranded wires are NOT what you want.

Solid 20-24 wire in various colours.

Have fun.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
You can buy one of the kits that includes bent and pre-stripped wires in assorted colors and lengths. 3M calls them jumper wire. Its kit number is 923351. Radio Shack and others probably have cheaper kits available. If you want to cut your own, I recommend 22 AWG solid insulated.

John

roadey_carl

Joined Jun 5, 2009
I just use the Strands from CAT5 cable. Just untwist them and cut them to length! Also if you require more current then just use a twisted pair!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I use solid 24 gauge wire myself, bought it specially for the purpose in several colors. I also bought kit boxes to keep it in, they are very inexpensive, so I could reuse it. I added a small length gauge on a set of strippers to help cut and strip it exactly to size.

I want the protoboards to last as long as possible, they do wear out eventually, so I use wire that puts the least amount of strain on them over time (and still works).

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Bill brings up a good point; jamming large components (such as TO-220 packaged IC's) into breadboards will lead to a very short life. If you want long breadboard service life, solder on smaller gauge wires to insert in the breadboard sockets.

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
I like the jumper wire kits myself, they come in common lengths that fit the breadboard perfectly. I do use Cat5 for stuff, just don't try to use Cat5E or Cat6 cabling, too many twists per inch annoying to get apart.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I use too many wires myself for that approach. I wonder how many people have 5+ protoboards? :D And use them. To my mind the wire kits are way overpriced. I can buy a spool of wire ($5) and the box ($2) and have an infinite supply. The gauge I showed (not all the hash marks are visible in the picture) works very well for sizing wires.

I have a better gauge now, thanks to a curious 4 year old.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
jamming large components (such as TO-220 packaged IC's) into breadboards will lead to a very short life.
To amplify on this, I've seen students a plug T0-220 power components into breadboards and expect those tiny contacts to handle the current and heat these transistors/regulators deal with. You will know this by contact holes with brown rings...or completely melted plastic. :( Keep all high current components off the nylon breadboards.

Ken

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Do you really need circuits that large on a breadboard? Once you can't fit an entire circuit on a single breadboard you should probably be putting it in a more permenant form on perfboard.