Best way to get 12V - 150W from AC supply

urb-nurd

Joined Jul 9, 2014
I am looking to power a project of mine with 24V dc (not 12 as per the title) but i will need to furnish high currents requiring around 150W output capability.

Supply is 240V AC UK

Are there any off the shelf components (smps) that can do this for cheap (< $80 ) and be small in size?

Otherwise are there any schematics online for such a supply?

I have looked and found a few cctv psu's that would be suffice (looking for both external and embedded for two projects).

ANy help is appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
@urb-nurd
If you meant 12V, then any computer (desktop) power supply can be hacked (plenty of demos in youtube and other sites. Those supplies typically handle 250 to 600 watts at 12V. Just read the details of the one you are buying. $25 to $80 best a lot of watts in these mass produced items.

urb-nurd

Joined Jul 9, 2014
Thanks for the responses.

I am looking to make a few little units for my friends and family, so i'd be looking for something that i could purchase a few of (given building isn't advisable).

The output DC doesn't need to be well regulated, it can sag by two volts+ or so and work fine for my application. (closed loop control, so loss of max power isn't too much of an issue).

I will look into the link above, it seems to be small enough for my purposes.

I also spotted a few laptop bricks that could work well. I assume these sort of SMPS's will work ok with high frequency switching of the load? or will i need external components to help that?

Thanks again!

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Are you looking for an open frame power supply component, or a fully enclosed consumer product like what comes with laptop computers? Either way, there are zillions of them out there, and you probably can get lucky at surplus sites for 10% or 20% of list.

ak

urb-nurd

Joined Jul 9, 2014
I am looking for a consumer product at the moment, but i am also looking at embedded power supplies to put inside a larger housing.

I think ill grab a 120W 24V brick PSU and see if it lives up to specs.

urb-nurd

Joined Jul 9, 2014
Though when this arrives (the DIN rail mount PSU) i will be using it for making my prototype (knowing that it will perform to rated specs).

After that i can start hunting for a commercial brick that will perform to the same standard.