Best way to find short source in a MOBO ?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by LETITROLL, Jun 27, 2014.

1. LETITROLL

Thread Starter Member

Oct 9, 2013
    I have recently got a 360 console from a friend , the motherboard was having shorts all over the main mosfets feeding the CPU and GPU particularly between drain and source , and also all the caps around them and around the GPU/CPU as well as a bulged cap , but even after replacing that cap , nothing has changed .

So after reading some stuf on some forums , a lot of guys say that its mostly one or two of the mosfets that has gone bad , witch confirms what i've found , but still am not sure if its them or not .

So what i did is trying to check one by just lifting its legs , and it was not shorted .

So after all that , i just didn't want to mess a lot more with this MOBO , and see if i can just follow a strategy to find the short source .

Thanks for bassing by btw .

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    The most common failure of motherboards is shorted caps across the power supply lines.

There can be as many as a dozen caps 1000μF or greater and a single one could be shorting. The only solution is to keep removing the caps one at a time until the short goes away.

3. LETITROLL

Thread Starter Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Ok i will try that and see hopefully

4. LETITROLL

Thread Starter Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Hi again

Funny thing is that i discovered that a coil waqs causing those shorts , and that the fets are 'normally' shorted .

Thanks for the comment