Best way to drain Li-ion batteries prior to recharge?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by RogueRose, Jan 14, 2016.

1. RogueRose

Thread Starter Member

Oct 10, 2014
    I have a lot of Li-ion 18650 batteries that I want to use for a few projects. I'm sure they are all in different states of health and charge, so I figure that draining them (to whatever safe voltage is best) and then charging them would give the best results.

I'm also going to build a charger where I want to incorporate over-charge protection. Can the same component be used for both applications?

If there is a fairly easy process of draining the batt's w/o killing them that doesn't involve building a circuit, I'm interested in that as well.

On a side note - another project related to this...

I'm also interested in building a charger where I can charge at least 4 individual cells (probably more like 8-12) and also a charger that I can charge many cells in series (cells of all the same make/model/age - so they should charge relatively similarly). I want to build in over-charging protection into this device.

I'm considering using a standard ATX PSU as the power source for this device as I can use the 3.3 or 5v for the single cell charge source and then the 12v rail for charging 3 cells at a time (24v is even possible from this unit, although only at ~1-1.5A which is still decent).

2. DC_Kid

Distinguished Member

Feb 25, 2008
    i thought Li bats didnt need a drain like the old Ni-cad's did.
    charge rate and charge full control is whats needed.
    others can correct me if i am wrong

RogueRose likes this.
  3. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Deep discharge of most battery types will decrease lifetime. If you want to discharge batteries, you need a circuit to monitor battery voltage and remove the load when they're discharged to your specified voltage.

You didn't mention how you plan to configure the batteries (single, series, parallel, series-parallel). Anything other than single requires matched batteries for best performance.

Charging batteries in series or parallel is a bad idea.

4. RogueRose

Thread Starter Member

Oct 10, 2014

Anything in series/parallel will be the same model when in a pack and charging.

5. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Even for batteries of the same type, some can be weaker or stronger than others.

6. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    There's no good reason to discharge Li-ion batteries before charging as long as you have the proper Li-ion charger for the battery you have.
    Any discharge just serves to reduce the battery's life.

7. hp1729

Nov 23, 2015
    Interesting. Have you had a specific experience in mind on this. Most battery packs are in series and charged together.

8. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    And the weakest battery determines end of life.

9. hp1729

Nov 23, 2015
    So a battery pack is no better than its weakest cell?

10. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Yes.